Freshman Admissions Appeals
Freshman applicants to the University of Houston who do not meet regular admission requirements may request further consideration by submitting a Freshman Admissions Appeal Form. An appeal to reconsider our original admission decision may or may not change the decision. Generally, less than 25 percent of the appeals will result in a changed admissions decision. Students are encouraged to appeal only if (1) their academic credentials (test scores, grades, etc.) have changed significantly or (2) they wish to provide additional information that further explains personal circumstances that may have affected their ability to meet admissions requirements.
- Submit the Freshman Admissions Appeal Form
- Wait up to 2-3 business days for items to appear on your to-do list in your myUH self-service portal.
- All Appeal Applicants are required to submit the following items for review:
- Personal Statement - The statement should explain why the student should be considered for admission even though they have previously been denied, focusing on 1) circumstances surrounding the student’s academic or personal experiences in high school that may explain why minimum admissions requirements were not met and 2) how the student plans to succeed academically despite not meeting minimum admissions requirements. The Appeals Committee will be looking for specific evidence beyond grades, class rank, and test scores (if applicable) that have already been considered in previous admissions attempts.
- Updated High School Transcript - Unofficial copy should include grades from most recently completed semester (typically, fall of senior year)
- Resume - Appeal candidates are required to submit a resume for consideration. Please include a detailed list of any extracurricular activities, community service, work experience, accomplishments, or other pertinent activities achieved throughout high school.
Dates and Deadlines:
|Term||Application Type||Form Deadline||Document Deadline|
|Spring 2023||Freshman Admissions Appeal||12/09/2022||12/14/2022|
|Summer 2023||Freshman Admissions Appeal||05/08/2023||05/12/2023|
|Fall 2023||Freshman Admissions Appeal||05/08/2023||05/12/2023|
I just filled out the appeals form. When will I be able to upload my documents?
You should receive to-do list items in your myUH portal in 2-3 business days.
What is the decision timeline for my appeal?
There is not currently a timeline for appeals. Please keep an eye on your email for any updates.
What happens if I now meet assured admission?
There is no assured admission for appeal decisions and every application will be reviewed holistically.
Can Transfer students appeal?
No, only Freshman students can appeal.
Can International Freshman students appeal?
What tips do you have for an appeals application?
Be sure to answer all parts of the personal statement prompt and include all extracurricular activities, community service, work experience, accomplishments, or other pertinent activities achieved throughout high school. Don’t forget to include hours per week and weeks per year.