Dr. Philippe Masson, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Electro-mechanical systems
- Power application of superconductivity
- Multi-physics modeling
- Elected to the Board of the HTS Modeling Workshop, 2016
- Nominated to the International Organizing Committee, CHATS-AS, 2015
- Editor in Chief, Special issue of IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, EUCAS2015, 2015
- Plenary Speaker, HTS Modeling, 2014
- Elected to the Board of Director of the Applied Superconductivity Conference, 2014
- Program Co-Chair for Large Scale Applications, Applied Superconductivity Conference (ASC), 2014
- Plenary speaker, Cryogenic Engineering Conference, 2011
- Cryogenic Society of America Roger W. Boom Award, 2010
- Appointed Editor for the International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2010\
- Best paper award, COMSOL Conference, 2009
- Granted permanent residence in the US in the “Alien with Extraordinary Ability in Science” category, 2009
- Senior member of the AIAA, 2009
- Senior member of the IEEE, 2008
- NASA/DoD URETI “Outstanding young researcher” award, 2007
- Biography in “Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering“, 2006
- Appointed Editor for Large Scale Applications for the IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 2005
- Ph.D. with highest distinction, University Henri Poincaré, Nancy, 2002
- Scholarship from French government awarded for 3 years, 1999
- M.S. with high distinction, University Henri Poincaré, Nancy, 1998
- J. Leclerc, P. J. Masson, ‘Testing of a sub-scale HTS coil for wind turbine”, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON APPLIED SUPERCONDUCTIVITY, VOL. 26, NO. 3, APRIL 2016
- J. Leclerc, L. Makong Hell , C. Clement and P.J. Masson, “Artificial neural networks for AC losses prediction in superconducting round filaments”, Supercond. Sci. Technol. 29 (2016) 065008
- S. Grieco, Y. Nyanteh, P.J. Masson, “Monte-Carlo Design Space Exploration of Superconducting Wind Generators Using MgB2 and YBCO Conductors”, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON APPLIED SUPERCONDUCTIVITY, VOL. 26, NO. 3, APRIL 2016
- N. Jin, A. Chuang, P.J. Masson, C. Ribelayga, “Reply from Nan Ge Jin, Alice Z. Chuang, Philippe J. Masson and Christophe P. Ribelayga”, Volume 593, Issue 13, 1 July 2015, Pages 2977–2978
- K. Selva, X.F. Li, G. Majkic, P.J. Masson, “Assessment of critical factors affecting the performance of trapped field magnets using thin film superconductor tapes”, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 102 (2015) 012031
- L. Makong, A. Kameni, P.J. Masson, J. Lambrechts, F. Bouillault, « 3D Modeling of heterogeneous and anisotropic superconducting media”, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MAGNETICS, VOL. 52, NO. 3, MARCH 2016
- C. Lorin, D. Netter, P.J. Masson, “Scaling Law for Hysteresis Losses in Round Superconductors Magnetized by Alternating, Rotating or Elliptical Magnetic Fields”, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON APPLIED SUPERCONDUCTIVITY, VOL. 25, NO. 1, FEBRUARY 2015
- Y. Nyanteh, N. Schneider, D. Netter, B. Wei, P.J. Masson, “Optimization of a 10 MW Direct Drive HTS Generator for Minimum Levelized Cost of Energy”, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON APPLIED SUPERCONDUCTIVITY, VOL. 25, NO. 3, JUNE 2015
- N. Jin, A. Chuang, P.J. Masson, C. Ribelayga, “Rod electrical coupling is controlled by a circadian clock and dopamine in mouse retina”, J Physiol 0.0 (2015) pp 1–35
- C. Lorin, D. Netter, P.J. Masson, “Scaling law for hysteresis losses in round superconductors magnetized by alternating, rotating or elliptical magnetic fields”, I.E.E.E. Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, DOI: 10.1109/TASC.2014.2341255
More publications on personal website above and on google scholar.
P.J. Masson, C. A. Luongo, “Multi-pattern high temperature superconducting motor using flux trapping and concentration”, U.S. Patent pending, Application # 11/256,303.
P.J. Masson, R.B. Meinke, S.Ishmael, “High Temperature Superconductor Electromechanical System with Frequency Commutation for Rotor Excitation”, U.S. Patent pending, Application # 12/200964.
R.B. Meinke, J. Lammers, G. Stelzer, P.J. Masson, “Helical Coil Design and Process for Direct Fabrication from a Conductive Layer”, PCT application # 11357-018
P.J. Masson, R.B. Meinke, S.A. Ishmael, “Electrical Machinery Incorporating Double Helix Coil Designs For Superconducting and Resistive Windings”, PCT application # PCT/US09/45978
Grants and Funded Research
- Development of a fully superconducting direct drive wind generator. DOE (Co-PI).
- Turbo-electric propulsion for the next generation (N+3) transportation aircraft. NASA (PI)
- Development of a HTS 10MW direct drive generator for wind turbines ARPA-E (Co-PI)
- Numerical modeling of superconductors
- AC losses in different field and transport current regimes
- Development of next generation drive train for next generation hybrid race cars, including system design (composed of all electrical and mechanical systems and energy storage) and optimization, electric motor(s) design, prototype development and testing. (Lead scientist).
- Development of a superconducting inductorfor synchronous machines based on flux concentration
- Simulation of quench propagation in YBCO coated conductorsand investigation of protection schemes as part of US Air Force Research Laboratory sponsored project
- Development of high power density superconducting rotating machineryfor aircraft propulsion as part of the NASA/DoD sponsored University Research, Engineering & Technologies Institutes on Aeropropulsion, Power and Technology (joint program with Georgia Tech and Ohio State)
- Development of a superconducting linear actuatorfor aircraft application for the BOEING Company
- Development of design methods and physics-based electro-thermal sizing models for high temperature superconducting machines.
More information here.
- None available