Dr. Abdeldjelil Belarbi, Professor
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cullen College of Engineering
Areas of expertise
- Structural health monitoring
- Smart sensors
- Structural performance and durability in natural disasters
- Constitutive modeling of reinforced and pre-stressed concrete structures
- American Concrete Institute Joe w. Kelly Award, 2011
- American Concrete Institute Chapter Activities Award, 2006
- Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 2004
- Chi Epsilon "James M. Robbins" Excellence in Teaching National Award, 2004
- Fulbright U.S. Distinguished Scholar Award, 2003-2004
- Governor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2003
- Honorable Mention of the 9NAMC Outstanding Paper Award, The Masonry Society, 2003
- Fellow of the American concrete Institute since 2000
- Outstanding Paper Award, Earthquake Spectra Journal, EERI, 1995
- Sneed, L.H., Belarbi, A., and You, Y.-M., “Spalling Solution of Precast Prestressed Bridge Deck Panels,” Technical Report OR11-005, Missouri Department of Transportation, 211 pp., August 2010.Sneed, L.H., Belarbi, A., and You, Y.-M., “Spalling Solution of Precast Prestressed Bridge Deck Panels,” Technical Report OR11-005, Missouri Department of Transportation, 211 pp., August 2010.
- Belarbi, A., Richardson, D.N., Swenty, M.K., and Taber, L.H., “Effect of Contamination on Reinforcing bar-Concrete Bond,” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, American Society of Civil Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 206-214, May/June 2010.
- Belarbi, A., Suriya Prakash, S. and Silva, P.F. “Incorporation of decoupled damage index models in the performance-based evaluation of RC circular and square bridge columns under combined loadings,” American Concrete Institute, Special Publication-SP271, Vol. 271, pp. 79-102, May 2010.
- Moslehy, Y., Gu, H., Belarbi, A., Mo, Y.L., and Song, G. “Smart Aggregate-Based Damage Detection of Circular RC columns under Cyclic Combined Loading,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 1-12, May 2010.
- Suriya Prakash, S., and Belarbi, A., “Towards Damage Based Design Approach for RC Bridge Columns under Combined Loadings Using Damage Index Models,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 363-389, March 2010.
- Newman, N., Ayoub, A., and Belarbi, A., “Development Length of Straight FRP Composite Bars Embedded in Concrete,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 571-589, February 2010.
- Bae, S.W. and Belarbi, A., “Effects of Various Environmental Conditions on RC Columns Wrapped with FRP Sheets,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 290-309, January 2010.
- Suriya Prakash, Belarbi, A., and You, Y.-M., “Seismic Performance of Circular RC Columns Subjected to Axial force, Bending, and Torsion with Low and Moderate Shear,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 46-59, January 2010.
- Wang, H. and Belarbi, A., “Static and Fatigue Bond Characteristics of FRP Rebars Embedded in Fiber-reinforced Concrete,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 44, No. 13, pp. 1605-1622, January 2010.
- Ouezdou, M. B., Belarbi, A., and Bae, S.W., "Effective Bond Length of FRP Sheets Externally Bonded to Concrete," International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.133-137, December 2009.
- National Science Foundation grant to study interactions between concrete and carbon fiber reinforced polymer - $300,000
Contact informationN127 Engineering Building 1Phone: 713-743-1609 | Fax: 713-743-4260