UEP Ambassadors are passionate student leaders who promote the university and program’s mission to empower students with academic, personal, and professional development resources that propel student success. Ambassadors represent UEP, plan and implement outreach events, and foster a supportive environment for our students.
Qualities of a UEP Ambassador
- Encourages others
- Embraces challenges & diversity
- Enlightens through communication
- Empowers through knowledge & opportunities
- Active UEP member
- Enrolled in at least 12 credits
- 2.5 GPA
- Involved on campus
- Serve a full, one-year academic term
- Commit to 4 hours per week completing duties
- Attend scheduled meetings
- Assist in planning and executing events that support the program
- Implement UEP’s marking efforts
- Attend annual UEP retreat
- Build relationships with students, organizations, and partners
- On behalf of UEP, attend other department programs and events
- Set personal growth goals and meet with staff for annual review
- Opportunities for leadership growth
- Serve as the “face” of UEP
- Connect with peers and professionals to build your personal network
- Impact the campus outreach of UEP and the populations that we serve
- Develop transferrable skills for the workplace, such as event planning, public-speaking, teamwork, and facilitation
Not currently accepting applications. Stay tuned for updates!
Meet the Ambassadors
Katherine Balderrama Najera
Katherine Balderrama Najera was born in Chihuahua, Chihuahua Mexico, and she moved to Houston, TX at the age of 3. She is currently a sophomore majoring in Mathematical Biology at the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Katherine is a DACA, first-generation Latina who plans to go to medical school and one day set up surgical clinics at low-income neighborhoods.
Katy Thormer was born in Conroe, TX and moved to Cleveland, TX at the age of 9, where she now lives with her husband and their cat. She graduated in the Top 10 from Cleveland High School in May 2017 and has been a member of UEP since her first semester at UH in Fall 2017. She joined the UEP Staff in January 2019 as a Student Leader. She is studying Integrated (Marketing) Communication with a minor in Psychology. As a first generation college student, she plans to take her education a step further and pursue an M.A. in Communications at a Canadian university. She wants to become a Communications Director for a start-up company and give back to support the community of Cleveland, TX where she was raised.
Pedro Ortiz was born in Ciudad Acuna, Couhuila, Mexico as the first child. His family moved out to Northern Texas in order to secure a better life for Pedro and his other siblings. He grew up in Arlington and moved out to Houston to study Political Science. He plans to still further his education and go to law school in order to practice immigration law, and help defend the more vulnerable segments of the immigrant population in Texas that he himself came from.
Alana Mitchell is a Dallas native but moved to Houston two years prior for college. She is a junior in the College of Education studying Human Development and Family Studies. Alana is a passionate first-generation college student who aspires to become a doctor of pediatric psychiatry and open her own practice and community center. Her favorite quote is "Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement."