Scholarship Program Overview
The University of Houston was awarded a $200,000 grant from the Coca-Cola Foundation to fund the Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship Program in the Fall 2017. This program awards individual scholarships to 40 academically outstanding students who are the first in their families to attend college and demonstrate a financial need. Currently, nearly half of the university’s undergraduate population, or 49 percent, are first-generation college students.
The Urban Experience Program (UEP) worked in tandem with UH to develop the framework for the program. UEP supports these students in adjusting to college life, as well as providing opportunities for them to grow as an individual and as a member of the university community. Scholarship recipients receive a total of $5,000.
In order to qualify for the scholarship, students must:
- Be a first-generation college student (parents did not complete a bachelor’s degree)
- Be an incoming freshman at the University of Houston Main Campus
- Be a member of the Urban Experience Program
- Demonstrate a financial need
Coca-Cola Scholars are expected to:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Be enrolled full-time (at least 9 credits) for each consecutive academic term except for the summer and winter term
- Complete UEP membership requirements of attending at least three UEP events per semester in the following categories: academic, financial, career, and civic engagement
- Attend any mandatory meetings (both individual and group) with UEP staff
Applications for this scholarship are not being accepted. Scholarship recipients are selected by the Urban Experience Program. For more information about the Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship Program, please contact Tajuanda Montreuil, UEP Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.