How We Started and How We've Grown
The College of Technology began in 1941 when local firms contributed funds for the third permanent building on campus for the new School of Technology. The first technical institute programs to be initiated by the new college in 1945 were also the first engineering technology programs in the state of Texas, accredited by the Engineers Council for Professional Development. By 1962, the College of Technology offered 16 programs-9 vocational and 7 engineering technology programs. By 1968, the college was
Throughout the decades, the School of Technology grew to meet the ever-changing disciplines associated with technology and the growing diversity of the student body. Today the college is comprised of four different departments and a wide range of disciplines.
The Construction Management department offers both an undergraduate and graduate degree in the field of Construction Management. The Engineering Technology department has carried forth the engineering technology programs that were the hallmark of the college's early years, and now covers the areas of biotechnology, computer engineering technology, electrical power engineering technology, and mechanical engineering technology. The Human Development and Consumer Sciences department covers the areas of retailing and consumer science, and human resources development, and the Information and Logistics Technology department
The College of Technology remains at the forefront of technology education, research, offering programs that meet the needs of a dynamic marketplace that demands competent, well-trained technologists.