In an effort to help support you and help you support one another and the community during COVID-19, we have created this resource page for the GCSW community. The links that follow include GCSW specific messaging, as well as University and community resources. If you have information that would be helpful to our community please send an email to GCSWnews@uh.edu. UH GCSW staff and faculty will work as quickly as possible to answer questions that arise. All members of the UH GCSW community are also advised to check the UH COVID-19 site for the latest information about the outbreak, and measures being implemented by the university.
Field questions and concerns – GCSW Field Office
Graduation, Commencement & Licensing Prep – Micol Rosen
Financial Support – Cindy Crews
Support for Zoom and Blackboard – Courtney Wilson
Other questions – GCSW Info
Complete a Student Update – Check-In Form
GCSW SUPPORT SPACE
Hosted by GCSW faculty and staff, this weekly meeting shares information, support, and student connection during this time of social distancing. Meetings are held Wednesdays from noon–12:50pm. See the Social Word for the Zoom link.
- July 22 - Trauma Stewardship and the Five Directions
- May 27 - Developing and Maintaining Professional Relationships (Recommendation Guidelines)
- May 20 – Community Training Opportunities
- May 13 - Job Opportunities for Community Health Workers
- April 29 – COVID Resources for Social Workers and Social Work Students
- April 15 – Stress and Trauma
- Cougar Emergency Fund
As you continue to face existing and new challenges as a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic, we want to let you know assistance is still available through the Cougar Emergency Fund. Students in need may apply for available funding by doing the following:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application. Include your full name, student ID number, and Graduate College of Social Work in your email, OR
Call 713- 743-1010 and select option 5 for additional information. Have your student ID number ready.
- Interim Foundation Curriculum Policy due to COVID-19 (Spring 2020) - For MSW students enrolled in any of the 16 semester credit hour foundation curriculum courses during spring 2020, the Foundation Curriculum Policy is waived for one semester.
- The deadline to complete the Evaluation Phase of the Field Form has been extended to May 2, 2020.
- Field Practicum II (generalist placement) students in calendar year 2020 can reallocate 50 clock hours. This is an option available to students who can benefit from a reduction in hours now. The students will move the hours to their concentration level placement.
- Virtual Check-In: Dean Dettlaff, along with other administrative staff, is available on Fridays from 12:00 – 1:00 PM, in the Dean’s Zoom Meeting Room. We would love to hear from you about any questions, concerns and general feedback you have. See the Social Word for the link to join.
- University Fee Waivers for Summer 2020: For students taking six credit hours or more during summer 2020, all mandatory university fees will be waived; For students taking less than six credit hours during summer 2020, all university mandatory fees except extended access fees will be waived.
- The university interim grading policies for graduate students have been extended to include all summer 2020 sessions.
- All UH summer sessions will be delivered via remote instruction.
- GCSW Volunteer Opportunity: Make or Donate Masks for Social Workers The GCSW is hosting a mask drive that focuses on social workers and their clients who are particularly vulnerable and facing even more challenges during the pandemic. Sign-up to help today! And help us spread the word! More information is available on our website and in the Make or Donate Masks for Social Workers Facebook Event.
- The GCSW licensing prep courses will be offered online for May and August 2020 graduates.
- A GCSW Covid19 Facebook page is available for students.
UH GCSW COMMUNICATIONS
- August 1, 2020: Field Education - COVID-19 FIELD COURSE ADJUSTMENTS
- July 13, 2020: GCSW Updates for Fall
- May 12, 2020: Field Education - COVID-19 FIELD COURSE ADJUSTMENTS
- April 30, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- April 23, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- April 16, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- April 14, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- April 10, 2020: Field Education - COVID-19 FIELD COURSE ADJUSTMENTS
- April 9, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- April 6, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- April 2, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- March 26, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- March 26, 2020: Field Education - COVID-19 FIELD COURSE ADJUSTMENTS
- March 25, 2020: Field Communication to Field Instructors - COVID-19 PLAN & UPDATE
- March 23, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- March 19, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- March 16, 2020: Dean's Update to Students
- March 9, 2020: Message to Field Community
- March 9, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
GUIDANCE AND LETTERS TO THE UH COMMUNITY
- August 3, 2020: Reopening for the Fall Semester
- July 30, 2020: Excused Absence and Grading Policies
- April 30, 2020: Reopening Update
- April 3, 2020: Summer Instruction Update
- March 30, 2020: Stimulus Legislation & UH System
- March 24, 2020: COVID-19 Update: Harris County Order
- March 19, 2020: UH & COVID-19 Decisions
- March 19, 2020: Updates Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) & Travel
- March 17, 2020: Latest UH Guidelines for COVID-19