The Provost’s Prize for Creative Writing is granted each spring and fall semester in acknowledgment of the best submission from an undergraduate student. The category this semester is prose (fiction or nonfiction.) Each award is a cash prize of $2,500.
The deadline for the Fall Entry is November 2nd at midnight.
Open to all undergraduate students currently enrolled in any department or program, full or part time, at the University of Houston Main Campus. One entry allowed per student. Enrollment must be current at the time of the submission and at the time of the notification of award. Enrollment verification will be made by the Registrar’s Office.
Work submitted for the Provost’s Prize must be the original creative work of the person submitting the entry. Submissions will accepted from the first day of the fall semester.
Submissions that do not follow the formatting guidelines will be disqualified.
To submit an entry, please follow these guidelines:
- Fiction or Nonfiction (prose) only
- Submit a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Name your document using your PeopleSoft ID number, with no other additions. (Example: 1234567.pdf)
- A manuscript (12-point font, 1” margins, double spaced) of no more than ten pages, or five pages single spaced, containing no more than one prose entry along with the submission’s title and the PeopleSoft ID number of the writer; the writer’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript. Please see an example submission here.
- Within 48 hours after being notified of the award, winners must be able to submit an electronic copy of the manuscript as a Word Document along with a 100-word bio.
- Any work submitted and found at any point of the process to be plagiarized will be immediately disqualified and the entry submitted to the Dean of Students for appropriate action (see Student Handbook on plagiarism).
- Submissions will be anonymously reviewed by graduate students and faculty from the UH Creative Writing Program, Department of English.
Award Committee Judging Process:
The Provost’s Prize submissions, manuscripts only, will be read by a panel of graduate students from the University’s Creative Writing Program. Each submission will be read by two readers, and the scores will decide the finalists. Finalists will be forwarded to a panel of no fewer than three Creative Writing Faculty for final selection.
Notification of Winning Entries:
Only the winning entries will be notified via email. The winner and five honorable mentions will be announced via an email and added to the Provost’s Prize website before the end of the fall semester. Please check this website periodically for an announcement. Due to the number of submissions, we cannot answer individual inquiries.
Winners will be notified using their official University of Houston email address.