March 25, 2020
Due to the unique and unprecedented challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Houston is implementing an interim policy for undergraduate grades.
- The Interim Undergraduate Grade Policy applies to all undergraduate students in courses offered during Spring 2020 Sessions 1, 4, 5, and 6 as well as the 2020 Summer Mini Session. The policy will be reviewed for continuation through future terms if necessary.
- All undergraduate courses for the applicable sessions will be graded according to their current grading scheme.
a. If the current grading scheme is Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U):
i. Grades of Unsatisfactory (U) will automatically convert to No Credit Reported COVID-19 (NCR).
ii. Grades of Satisfactory (S) are awarded course credit while no course credit will be awarded for a grade of No Credit Reported COVID-19 (NCR).
b. If the current grading scheme is Letter Grade:
i. Students have the option to choose either a Letter Grade or a Satisfactory/No Credit Reported COVID-19 (S/NCR) grading scheme on a course-by-course basis.
ii. Under the Satisfactory/No Credit Reported COVID-19 (S/NCR) grading scheme, grades of D- and higher are considered Satisfactory (S) and are awarded course credit. No course credit will be awarded for a grade of No Credit Reported COVID-19 (NCR).
iii. Details regarding the process through which students choose their grading options will be communicated by the Office of the University Registrar by April 27, 2020.
- The deadline for students to choose their grading option is 5:00 pm on May 18, 2020.
- Satisfactory (S) and No Credit Reported COVID-19 (NCR) grades are not factored into term or cumulative GPA.
- Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor to discuss questions regarding the impact of their grade option choice on academic matters. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid should be consulted to discuss the impact of their grade option choice on financial aid matters.
- The deadline for completing course requirements associated with Incomplete grades due in spring 2020 is extended to August 10, 2020. Students should contact their instructors to discuss plans for completing course requirements by that date. The incomplete deadline extension will be reviewed for continuation through future terms if necessary.
- Grades received as the result of academic honesty sanctions will be handled consistent with the University of Houston Undergraduate Academic Honesty Policy.