First Year Grade Exclusion Policy
Students who earn a D+ or lower in a course during their first year at University of Houston (UH) may repeat the course within 12 months and exclude the original grade from their cumulative GPA. Grade exclusion is applicable to a maximum of three courses at the 3000-level or below, and other restrictions may apply (see full policy details below). This policy only applies to students who entered UH in Fall 2018 or later and it will not retroactively alter academic or financial aid status.
- Grade exclusion will not retroactively alter academic or financial aid actions, decisions, or sanctions that resulted from the original grade or original semester GPA.
- Students who receive a grade of D+ or below in a course within the first twelve months from students’ initial matriculation semester in residence are eligible to repeat the course and have the original grade excluded from the computation of their cumulative grade point average.
- Grade exclusion may only be used once per course and is applicable to a maximum of three courses, only one of which may be at a 3000- level. No 4000 and 5000-level courses are eligible for grade exclusion.
- The course must be repeated at UH within twelve months of earning the original grade.
- The original course and grade will continue to appear on the student’s transcript with a notation that the course was repeated and that the original grade was not included in the computation of the student’s cumulative GPA.
The grade exclusion policy is not applicable for course(s) in which the student’s grade of D+ or below resulted from a UH Academic Honesty policy violation.
Is my course grade eligible for grade exclusion?
Checklist for Eligibility
- Was the first semester you enrolled at UH FALL 2018 or since?
- Is the original course grade D+ or lower?
- Is the course 3000-level or lower?
- Did you originally take the course within your 1st year (12 months, 3 semesters including summer) at UH?
- Did you repeat the course within 12 months of earning the original grade? (3 semesters including summer)
- Did you earn the original grade without any academic honesty violation?
- I understand that under grade exclusion …
- only my cumulative GPA is impacted
- the original course grade will still appear on my UH transcript
- there is no guarantee for Department/College approval of change of major/minor
- there is no guaranteed impact to my financial aid eligibility
If the answer is YES to all of the questions above, you are ready to submit your request for grade exclusion.
Please wait to apply for Grade Exclusion until after you have completed and earned a grade for the repeated course. Requests may not be reviewed or approved until the repeated course grade is posted to the academic record.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know if this policy applies to me?
- Which grades of D+ or lower may be excluded in this policy?
- What if I wish to alter academic or financial aid decisions that resulted from my original grade and resulting GPA?
- What if the D+ or lower course grade resulted from an Academic Honesty violation?
- What if I would like to exclude a course but earned a grade higher than D+ in the course?
- If I am thinking about re-enrolling in a course for grade exclusion, who should I contact to discuss this plan?
- When should I re-enroll in a course I hope to repeat for grade exclusion?
- If I successfully exclude a course grade, will anyone be able to tell I earned the original grade on my transcript?
- How do I request that the grade exclusion policy be applied to my records?
- What if I wish to retake the course at another institution and transfer it back to UH?
- Is grade exclusion automatic? If I retake the course am I committed to using it for grade exclusion?
- Is there a deadline to submit request for grade exclusion?
The UH grade replacement policy only applies to students who entered in UH Fall 2018 and subsequent semesters. If you began enrollment at UH before Fall 2018, even if you were readmitted after a significant lapse in your enrollment, this policy will not apply to you.Which grades of D+ or lower may be excluded in this policy?
Up to three UH courses taken within the first 12 months of matriculation to UH may be excluded. These courses may be 1000, 2000 or 3000-level, but no more than one 3000-level course. No courses above 3000 level may be excluded.What if I wish to alter academic or financial aid decisions that resulted from my original grade and resulting GPA?
Grade exclusion will not retroactively alter academic or financial aid actions, decisions, or sanctions that resulted from the original grade or original semester GPA. Contact your academic advisor or financial aid advisor for specific questions about how this may impact you.What if the D+ or lower course grade resulted from an Academic Honesty violation?
The grade exclusion policy is not applicable for courses in which the student’s grade of D+ or below resulted from a UH Academic Honesty policy violation.What if I would like to exclude a course but earned a grade higher than D+ in the course?
The policy applies only to courses with a grade of D+ or lower. If you received a higher grade, you will not be able to exclude the original grade from your GPA.If I am thinking about re-enrolling in a course for grade exclusion, who should I contact to discuss this plan?
We recommend that you discuss this decision with your academic advisor before you decide to re-enroll in the course. Many consequences could result from this choice, and we recommend that you get the full picture before investing the time, money and effort in a second attempt in the course. You may wish to meet with your financial aid advisor as well.When should I re-enroll in a course I hope to repeat for grade exclusion?
Students must enroll in a repeated course within twelve months of earning the original grade in order to be eligible for grade exclusion.
Example: If you earned an F in a course taken Fall 2018, you must re-enroll in the course by Fall 2019 in order for the original grade to be excluded.
|Semester of First Attempt||Semester Second Attempt Must be Enrolled In / Completed|
|Fall 2018||Fall 2019|
|Spring 2019||Spring 2020|
|Summer 2019||Summer 2020|
The original grade will appear on your official transcript, but it will be noted that this grade was excluded from your GPA because you retook it per the policy.How do I request that the grade exclusion policy be applied to my records?
Students must apply for grade exclusion after the course(s) in question have been completed and a grade earned in the repeated course, submit a Grade Exclusion request using this link. Upon receipt and review of your application, you will be contacted about your eligibility and further steps, if any.What if I wish to retake the course at another institution and transfer it back to UH?
Both the course excluded and the retaken course must by UH courses. Transferred courses do not impact UH cumulative GPA.
Students must apply for for grade exclusion (see link) and identify which course(s) to which the exclusion applies. There is a 3 course limit.
Students should submit the request prior to applying to graduate.
There is a deadline to retake a course. Students must enroll in a repeated course within twelve months of earning the original grade in order to be eligible for grade exclusion. It is encouraged that as soon as a student successfully retakes a course and knows that they want to use it for one of the 3 grade exclusions they submit an application and do so no later than before applying to graduate.