All new faculty appointments are processed through TALEO, the University’s recruitment and application system. Applicants must apply for vacant positions and be selected for hire in Taleo. Please review the Faculty Position Posting Guide for instructions on how to post a position in TALEO. Reappointments are processed via reappointment agreement (see below form).
- Faculty Position Posting Guide
- EEO Applicant Review Instructions
- Faculty Offer Instructions
- Sign up for a Faculty Search Committee Training Session
Faculty Search Committee Training Sessions
The University of Houston hosts faculty search committee training sessions to support its commitment to recruit and retain a diverse Powerhouse Faculty that will advance the University’s national competitiveness, student success and community engagement goals. The training focuses on sharing best practices, resources, guidelines and practical suggestions that will help make the search more productive and successful. Search committee members are required to attend one training session every two years prior to their service on a search committee. In summer and fall 2019 we will have multiple training sessions and faculty members will be able to schedule a session that works for their schedule.
Please feel free to contact the Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 713-743-6268.
Please see the Taleo Search Committee Quick Guide for information on how to review applicant pools as a search committee member.
The University of Houston appoints all tenured, tenure track and non-tenure track faculty and instructors of record in accordance with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges Faculty Credentialing Guidelines (PDF). To determine if an instructor has the appropriate credentials, please review the Instructor Credential Guidelines. If an individual to be appointed instructor of record does not have appropriate academic qualifications, a justification form must be completed to document the instructor’s qualifications and experience. The relationship of the instructor’s qualifications and experience to the specific subject matter and topics covered in the course must be apparent and comprehensively summarized on the form.
For questions regarding the faculty hiring process, please email email@example.com.
- Standard Hours/FTE Table for Part Time Faculty
- Summer 2023 FTE Chart
- Guidelines for Hiring Faculty with Tenure
Offer Letter Templates:
- Tenure Track Offer Letter
- Tenured Offer Letter
- Research Offer Letter
- Non Tenure Track Offer Letter - Benefits Eligible
- Non Tenure Track Offer Letter - Non-benefits Eligible
- Non Tenure Track Reappointment Notification Letter
Additional Forms and Policies
For additional forms pertaining to faculty, see below. All forms and questions may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty Pay Options Form (.doc)
- Joint Appointment Request Form (.doc)
- Request for Leave of Absence Form (.doc)
- Faculty Separation Form (.doc)
- Summer Agreement (.doc)
- Non-Tenure Track Faculty Reappointment Agreement (.doc)
- Textbook and Educational Materials Policy
- Faculty Criminal History Investigation (CHRI)
- For information on the Voluntary Modification of Employment, please contact Faculty Affairs at email@example.com.
- Tenure Track, Clinical and Instructional Faculty Employment Acceptance Form (.doc)
- Non Tenure Track Faculty Employment Acceptance Form (.docx)
- Competitive Salary Adjustment Initiative
Promotion and Tenure Process
The University of Houston promotion and tenure process is an electronic process using a SharePoint site. For confidentiality and security purposes, access to the Site is limited to specific time periods and accessible only by current year candidates and reviewers.
The following is a collection of links to information about the various governance organizations at the University of Houston central campus.