Application Deadline for Fall 2021 Admission: January 10, 2021
Who Can Apply
Applicants to the Ph.D. program Concentrations in Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmaceutics must have, or nearly have, at least a Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or a related discipline. In addition, applicants to the Pharmacology Concentration must have taken at least 3-credit hour course in human physiology and at least one 3-credit hour course in biochemistry. A minimum undergraduate (and graduate, if applicable) GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale is required. The average GPA of students admitted in 2018 and 2019 was 3.6.
Applicants to the Ph.D. program's Pharmaceutical Health Outcomes and Policy Concentration must have either completed or expect to complete a B.S. degree in a similar area with an overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale. The average GPA of students admitted in 2018 and 2019 was 3.6.
For all programs, a GRE exam score is required. This score will be considered as part of the total application package. The average total GRE for students admitted to our Ph.D. programs 2016-2018 was 308.
We DO NOT offer a Master’s degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences (including Pharmaceutical Health Outcomes and Policy, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutics or Pharmacology concentrations) at the present time.
Download/View Frequently Asked Questions PDF for additional information about Ph.D. programs
Before you start your application, please make sure you are applying for the correct program concentration (Pharmaceutical Health Outcomes and Policy, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutics or Pharmacology). Check with the academic advisor if you are not sure; contact information is at the bottom of this page. Students are only admitted in the Fall semester of the academic year (Spring semester admission is not available).
1. Go to https://www.uh.edu/graduate-school/prospective-students/how-to-apply/, and follow the instructions
2. Please review and comply with the following special instructions:
- If you would like to submit abstracts, manuscripts or other documents describing your accomplishments or special qualities, you may upload them as PDFs to Additional/Supplemental Materials.
- For the application, you may upload a scan of your transcript. If accepted, you will be required to submit an official, stamped paper transcript.
- The campus code for GRE and TOEFL score delivery is 6870. There is no department code.
- The resume should be restricted to professional and academic achievements. A list of publications and research experiences is very helpful.
- Letters of recommendation must be on official letterhead, and written and properly signed by teachers, mentors, work supervisors or others with whom you have had professional relationships. They should directly address your academic abilities, scientific talents, work habits and personal character. Letters not meeting these qualifications will be disregarded.
- The statement of purpose should be no more than 2-3 pages long, and discuss your research interests, career goals, motivation and background. You also can highlight relevant achievements, and summarize your research experience.
- Application fees (payment must be made with credit card only)
Domestic/Resident Students: $50
International/Non-resident Students: $80
- No personal checks or cash will be accepted.
- See English language requirements here: http://www.uh.edu/graduate-school/admissions/international-students/english-proficiency/. Because many of our students are Teaching Assistants, they may have to meet additional requirements for spoken English proficiency.
Transfer students should follow the same application process, as specified above. Students may be able to transfer a maximum of 9 credit hours of completed course work from an accredited program, as long as those credits were not used to complete a previous degree. Transfer students can seek admission only for the Fall semester (Spring admission is not available to any students).
For more information, please contact:
Graduate Academic Advisor II
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
4849 Calhoun Road, Room 6007
Houston, TX 77204-5037