Pharmacy Summer Camp - 2018 TBD
**Information below refers to the 2017 camp**
In effort to encourage the pursuit of professional pharmacy and other health and research careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields, UH College of Pharmacy offers a 3 1/2-day Pharmacy Summer Camp for junior and senior high school students, typically in June.
The cost of the camp is $300 per person. Upon acceptance, participants/parents will be notified with further instructions, including insurance requirements and payment remittance.
The first three days of the camp will be held at the UH College of Pharmacy's Texas Medical Center Campus at 1441 Moursund (not on the main UH Campus), but the final half-day of camp will be in the Rockwell Pavilion, 2nd floor of the MD Anderson Library at the main UH Campus.
- Academic Advising and Planning - Receive tips and guidance on how to prepare for your education and career in pharmacy practice and/or research
- Career Discovery - Learn about the diverse job opportunities for pharmacists
- Research Opportunities - Visit UHCOP labs and meet with faculty researchers in clinical and basic sciences
- Tour Texas Medical Center and Shadow Pharmacists - Explore the internationally recognized community of healing, learning and discovery and the largest medical complex in the world, just minutes from the UH campus
- Meet Pharmacy Professionals, Researchers and Current Students - Find out about working in different pharmacy settings from real-world practitioners, researchers and current UH Pharm.D. students
- Hands-on Activities and Live Demos - Learn about pharmacy skills and techniques, such as patient counseling and compounding
Light breakfast and lunch will be provided to participants each day at no additional cost (please notify the college contact below of any special dietary requirements/restrictions).
Please note: Attendees are responsible for transportation to and from the TMC and UH campuses as well as any fees for use of TMC Parking Garages or UH parking garages/lots. Overnight housing will not be provided by the college.
- Open to students entering Junior or Senior year of high school in fall 2017
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale
- Math/Science cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale
- Attendance is limited; applicants are accepted on a rolling basis (applicants are accepted to the deadline or when all slots are filled)
- Complete Application Form, including Personal Essay, print and submit to address below no later than May 1 (please do not submit registration payment with application; non-refundable registration payment is due after notification of acceptance)
- Order/submit an official high school transcript (must be either sent directly to UHCOP from school or submitted in official sealed envelope from school along with other application documents)
- Request Teacher/Counselor Recommendation (NOTE: Student and parent should sign Waiver form on page 1; submit both pages with stamped envelope to high school counselor or math/science teacher when requesting recommendation)
All application materials must be received (not postmarked) by 5:00 p.m. Monday, May 1, at the following address:
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Science & Research Bldg. 2
3455 Cullen Blvd., Room 122
Houston, TX 77204-5000
Acceptance Notification and Payment
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by Monday, May 15.
No later than two (2) weeks after notice of acceptance, the following items are required in order to secure registration: 1) Online Payment in the amount of $300 (please do NOT submit payment until notice of acceptance has been received); and 2) proof of health insurance coverage.
For more information, please contact Nekesa Sapp at 713-743-1261.
Persons with disabilities who desire accommodations should contact Dr. Paige Pitman at 832-842-8376 by Tuesday, May 30.