The primary educational objective of the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program is to increase the career and educational opportunities available to registered nurses in the university’s service region. Graduates of the program will have a broader understanding of the nursing profession and will bring that understanding to the practice of nursing in their places of employment. Graduates will be prepared to assume some leadership and management roles.
The Master of Science in Nursing program (Education, Administration and Family Nurse Practitioner) is designed to build upon the BSN degree and is offered at the University of Houston at Katy and online. Students in this program are prepared to function at advanced levels with an expanded knowledge of theory, research and clinical application. Graduates are prepared to provide evidenced based health care and to work on collaborative teams. Lab and/or clinical course requirements will be in a face-to-face learning environment for practice and demonstration to meet course objectives and accreditation requirements.
The Master of Science in Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) degree program is designed to prepare nurses to practice as family nurse practitioners, as educators in nursing programs, to translate research into practice or to assume leadership roles in advance nursing practice.
To find out about the MSN program requirements, view the Program Requirements or email firstname.lastname@example.org for general information.
- Assume advanced leadership roles in a variety of health care settings.
- Exemplify ethical, legal and professional standards for advanced nursing practice.
- Integrate advanced knowledge of nursing and related disciplines in the roles of educator, administrator or clinician.
- Participate in research and other scholarly activities to expand nursing knowledge.
- Work effectively in interdisciplinary relationships or partnerships to promote, maintain and restore the health of clients; improve health care delivery systems; shape health policy; or influence professional education.
A mandatory orientation for all MSN tracks will be held at the Sugar Land instructional site prior to the start of the Fall semester.