When: Friday, 10/29/2021 @2:30—5:00 p.m.
Where: ZOOM (Online/Virtual event)
Direct link to the videos: TBD
What is the Meet and Greet?: This event is for all Undergraduate Math Majors, including Mathematical Biology, Math Graduate students, Departmental Faculty and Staff. The purpose of this social is to create a pleasant and comfortable environment among faculty and students.
This Fall the Meet and Greet will be virtual/online .
This information session is meant to introduce students to career opportunities from various companies and to the winter actuarial camp (hosted by AIG). The speakers will discuss the following:
- Speaker Biographies:
- Which steps were taken to acquire their current positions?
- What was their process like and what was involved in their preparation to find a position?
- Which opportunities did they take advantage of that proved invaluable during the application process.
- Perspectives on “life beyond the degree”
- Speaker Topics:
- Their roles at the company/institution
- What a typical day looks like
- Personal or company goals and objectives
- Job/Internship overviews- opportunities/descriptions (if applicable)
- Q & A Session
- Potential Speaker (Aviation Pilot- TBD):
- Tri Duong (Accelerator Systems Operator @SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory - Stanford University): Responsibilities: Develop multiple high-level applications (HLA) Python modules to autonomously operate, diagnose, perform complex beam measurements, and control various particle accelerator devices in the Linac Coherent Light Source II (LCLS-II). Utilize EPICS to build distributed control systems to provide control and feedback of various parts of the devices in the particle accelerator includes profile monitors, beam position measurements, magnets, undulators, RF guns, beam shutters, mirrors, klystrons, and active laser monitor.
- Jordan Chapel (Lead Strategic Procurement Analyst @Hewlett Packard Enterprise): Experienced mathematician with a demonstrated history of working in the insurance and technology industry. Interest include but limited to database management, mathematical analysis, streaming processes and data analytics.
- Brandon Wright (Deputy Chief Finance Actuary-Life US) @AIG: Actuary with 15+ years of experience in the life insurance and annuities industry. In depth knowledge of issues related to life insurance product illustrations and quotes. Specialties: Financial Services software development/testing, Computer Programming (APL)
PME Induction Ceremony
See below for our Fall 2021 Scholarship recipients:
|Charles P. Benner Scholarship||Erika Cruz|
|Charles P. Benner Scholarship||Jake Hill|
|Charles P. Benner Scholarship||Linh Hoang|
|Charles P. Benner Scholarship||Ali Hamza Abidi Syed|
|Blanche B. Grover Scholarship||Josh Flynn|
|Blanche B. Grover Scholarship||Younghyun Kim|
|Blanche B. Grover Scholarship||Katherine Wong|
|Math Education Scholarship||Long Thanh Le|
Please see below for our FY 2022 PME Inductees:
Spring 2021 Meet and Greet