The UH Branding team consists of rotating staff members who meet in pairs each day to review all submitted PDFs. They are trained on the same guidelines and meet regularly together as a team. To ensure a quick response to questions, email the entire team at email@example.com.
Please follow these steps to ensure a quick brand review experience:
- Be knowledgeable. Read the guidelines on logo usage and send questions to UH Branding at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be prepared and timely. We recommend that you send your materials to UH Branding 3-5 business days before you intend on using or implementing in case feedback is provided that may alter the design.
- Be patient. The first communication will come within 48 hours of your submission in the form of an approval or feedback for revisions.
Approvals will be valid for six months and resubmission, review and approval will be required again after that time. If the content of the originally approved submission is modified in any way before the six month approval expires, it will require a new approval.
It is the responsibility of the submitter to ensure that he/she obtains proper permissions for photos, artwork, images, external logos or intellectual property of a third party or that does not belong to the University of Houston.
- Design flaws (i.e. blurry images, disproportion, etc.)
- Solicitation of funds. All communications that infer monetary exchange must be assigned an Appeal Code through the Office of Annual Giving. This includes events with a ticket price. The brand review team confirms there is a code.
- Any material containing the President’s image will be reviewed by the Associate Vice President for University Marketing, Communication and Media Relations division, which may increase the length of approval time.
The University of Houston name, logos, marks and other branding elements cannot be used in the promotion of tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, or firearms/firecrackers.
Exceptions to the UH branding and style guidelines must be approved by University Marketing and are available only to non-academic, public-facing entities. Exceptions are not available to a college, a degree program, an official business department, or any other established unit of the University of Houston or University of Houston System. Outside funds can come from other public organizations, private organizations, private individuals, or from services rendered.
Specifically, entities eligible for exceptions must be one of the following:
- Funded 51% or more by entities outside of the University of Houston or University of Houston System
- Registered as 501c3/Non-profits
- Public-facing units with a transactional relationship to the community that have a non-academic operational structure
- Not a college, degree program, official business department, or any other established unit of the University of Houston or University of Houston System
Being an exception entity does not mean the UH branding and graphic standards are eliminated entirely. It means:
- UH graphic standards may be adjusted slightly to allow for the inclusion of the other funding source's branding and logos.
- An official University of Houston logo must appear on the piece.
- Any advertising pieces produced for, by or about the entity are subject to UH brand review guidelines
- Any logos used on behalf of the exempt entity must be approved by the Associate Vice President of University Marketing, Communication & Media Relations or his/her designee
- It is preferred that UH approved fonts, colors and branding be used as much as possible in promotional materials.
- Any UH logos, fonts and branding used will be subject to UH graphic standards.
- If a student group decides to use an official UH logo on items, logo guidelines must be followed regardless.
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com