Skip to main content

Trademark Usage & Partnerships

Anyone outside the university who would like to use UH logos, logotypes or other marks for either non-commercial, commercial purposes or partnerships should coordinate such use with the Brand Management, Licensing & Trademarks Department.

Please read below to determine the category that best fits your need. For questions, contact

For information on usage, please visit one of the following pages: Internal Use, Administrative & Academic Use, Registered Student Organizations and/or Licensing Basics.

What is Commercial Use?

Commercial use occurs any time a third party applies University of Houston trademarks to goods that are produced and marketed for sale. Any company, group, or individual wishing to make commercial use of University of Houston trademarks must obtain a license agreement from the University of Houston’s licensing agency of record, Affinity Licensing. The license agreement will specify the trademarks that can be used, the goods the licensee is authorized to produce, and the channels of distribution and sale for the goods. Commercial use licensees are obligated to pay a royalty for commercial use of the University of Houston trademarks.

If you are interested in obtaining a commercial use license for the University of Houston, please contact Affinity Licensing by visiting the Affinity's application website.

Non-Commercial Use

Any individual, company, or organization outside the University who would like to use UH logos, logotypes, or other marks for non-commercial purposes, such as showcasing a partnership on a flyer or placing on a website, should complete the Intellectual Property Use Permission form and submit it as an attachment to If approved, this form grants permission for an outside entity to use the designated University intellectual property for a specific purpose. The form does not give the outside entity permission to use the University’s marks on an ongoing or general basis.

If you have any questions about whether an Intellectual Property Use Permission form is required, please email for guidance.

Steps on how to complete this process:

  1. Fill out the Intellectual Property Use Permission form linked above. This form provides all the necessary information to process your request quickly and easily. Once you have completed the form, please attach it as a .pdf or scan (.pdf or .jpg) and email it back to us.
  2. The UH Licensing team and VC/VP of Marketing & Communications will review your request and will contact you with feedback or approval.
  3. Once your request is approved, you will be sent the logo files or assets you have requested.
  4. All marketing material created using UH trademarks must be submitted to for internal review and approval. We do this to ensure UH’s trademarks are used properly.

Types of Partnerships

Understanding partnerships and how to brand them appropriately is key to clearly defining relationships for the benefit of both UH and its partners. Please use the information below as a guide.

Type of Partnership UH Brand Partner Brand Who Creates Content Contract or IP form Required
UH is the lead X UH
UH is an equal partner X X UH or Partner X - if the partner is creating
UH is supported by an external partner X Partner X

University of Houston as the lead

If the University of Houston is the lead partner, the University brand takes precedence and materials should be designed in such manner.

University of Houston as an equal partner

If all partners have an equal stake, the University of Houston brand should not take precedence. Neutral branding should be used to accommodate all parties.

University of Houston supported by an external party

If the University of Houston or any of its programs are supported or sponsored by an external party, the University of Houston brand should not be used and marketing materials or communications should not be represented as official correspondence from the University.

This department recommends including a phrase indicating that the external party is in support of UH or its program.

For example: The Friends of Women’s Studies supports the Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies program at the University of Houston.

If you are interested in using a UH logo or trademark or have questions, please contact so we may assist you.

University of Houston as a/the sponsor

If the University of Houston has endorsed/sponsored/or given to another organization, the UH logo should be used along with language that clearly indicates the relationship between the University of Houston and the sponsored organization.

Need Help?

Contact with any details about your partnership and any relevant organizations. The Division of Marketing, Communication and Media Relations will assist in determining what relationship and use of brand is relevant.