Students must be advanced German language speakers in order to be eligible for this program.
Students from all majors can be eligible to study at Leipzig University as a Reciprocal Educational Exchange Program (REEP) student.
About Leipzig University:
Leipzig University is located in the city of Leipzig, which is in Eastern Germany. Founded in 1409, Leipzig University is one of the oldest universities in the world.
Leipzig University has several different faculties (schools or colleges):
- History, Art & Oriental Studies
- Social Sciences & Philosophy
- Economics & Management
- Sports Science
- Mathematics & Computer Science
- Biosciences, Pharmacy, & Psychology
- Chemistry & Mineralogy
- Veterinary Medicine
Leipzig University also has several affliliated institutes:
- East Asian Studies
- Study of Religions
- Classical Archaeology
- International Law, European Law, & Foreign Public
- Regenerative Medicine
About Leipzig, Germany:
Because of its location at the crossroads of two major medieval trade routes, Leipzig has been an important economic and trade hub within Europe for centuries. Leipzig is home to several museums, historic religious buildings, and even an opera house.
Map of Germany:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Must have completed 12 UH credit hours
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
How to Apply:
- Meet with a Learning Abroad Advisor to learn about the program
- Review course materials at Leipzig University
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor to determine course equivalencies
- Complete the UH required forms that can be found in the Learning Abroad Timeline
- Confirm with Learning Abroad that you will be applying
- Complete the Leipzig University online application
- Academic Year: Apply on ViaTRM by May 1st
- Spring only: Apply on ViaTRM by November 1st
Selected Applicants Agree To:
- Complete and submit the required paperwork to the UH Learning Abroad office as outlined in the Learning Abroad Timeline.
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines, and procedures of Learning Abroad.
- University of Houston tuition and fees
- UH Learning Abroad Exchange fee: $75
- Airfare to Leipzig: approximately $1600 as of September 2016
- Housing: There are multiple options for housing, but most accommodations range from $220-$380 per week. Housing information can be found on the here.
- Passport: With Passport for Coogs, you are able to apply for a passport in the Learning Abroad office.
- Local Transportation Costs: Varies
- Academic materials/textbooks, as required by your syllabi in Leipzig: Varies
- Meals: Varies
- Personal Expenses and Incidentals: Varies
Personal preferences affect the total cost of your program. Participants should plan for the trip and budget appropriately.