Download the application instructions and checklist and apply to UH Central Campus Main Campus. Select CLASS Theatre as your major.
Twelve theatre educators will be accepted this summer to begin their
Theatre educators applying for the MA program without thesis should send:
- A Statement of Purpose describing the applicant's educational and theatrical background as well as his or her reasons for wanting to pursue the MA Theatre Educator Summer Degree Plan (not to exceed two pages in length,
- Three letters of recommendation from one from the applicant's current administrator and two additional professional colleagues familiar with the applicant's work.
- A mini-portfolio containing pictures from a production (three photo minimum) and a one-two page reflection on the
applicantsinvolvement, approach andprocess involved in mounting the production. Include difficulties and how they were overcome and what was learned by the students and the applicant during the production process.
OR a 10-15 minute video submission (DVD or VHS format) of the applicant working with students in a teaching or directing situation, with a
two pageexplanation of the lesson or directorial approach.
- Two sets of official transcripts from every university the applicant attended as an undergraduate. Be sure to also include the final transcript from the institution granting the undergraduate degree, with the bachelor’s degree posted. One set
of transcriptsshould be included in the portfolio submission and one set of transcripts should be sent directly to Graduate admissions.
- Resume (not exceeding two pages).
- Copy of Theatre Teaching Certificate from
- Official GRE scores or a letter of intent stating that they plan to take the GRE.
- Proof of application to UH Central Campus.
Application to the Summer MA requires submissions to both the Theatre department and to the University of Houston Graduate School.
Application to UH CENTRAL Campus should be completed
You will select:
College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences (CLASS)
MA for Theatre Educators
Submit the following items to The University of Houston Graduate School via the website:
- One set of transcripts with your degree posted for every college attended (note: the Graduate School Website says “two” because you will send one directly to the department in your mini-portfolio)
- Official GRE Scores reported to School Code 6870
- $50 non-refundable fee that must be submitted electronically (checks will be returned to the applicant)
- For International Students: TOFEL Scores are required
Once you have completed the application on CollegeNET to the Graduate School, please print
NOTE: It is NOT necessary to submit the four items listed below to the Graduate School CollegeNET website.
o Letters of Recommendation
o Personal Statement
o Resume or Vitae
o Additional Material
The due date for applications is flexible. Priority is given on a first come-first served basis
Please send all application materials together in one packet to:
Head of Summer MA for Theatre Educators
The University of Houston
School of Theatre & Dance
3351 Cullen Blvd.
Houston, Tx. 77204-4016
Official Program Start Date is always the Monday following the International Thespian Association Convention. The session generally runs the entire month of July. Summer Semester end date is tentatively July 31 of each year.
Approximate Costs: Tuition per summer term for
If you have questions about the M.A. Theatre Educator Summer Degree program, please email Jessica Ferrarone at email@example.com.
Return to main Graduate Admissions page.