Due to the continuing world health crisis, the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® regrets to announce the cancellation of all 2020 Institutes associated with the festival. Information on how to apply to the 2021 Institute of Voice Studies will be posted in the fall.
TMF 2020 Covid-19 Updates
The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® invites applications for the The Institute of Voice Studies, Building Your Craft: From Studio to Stage, at the University of Houston Moores School of Music. The three-week intensive program for college freshmen and sophomore vocal students builds a foundation in stagecraft through classes in acting and dramatic interpretation, language and diction, solo and ensemble coaching, stage movement, dance, and body awareness. Led by a faculty with years of international experience, participants prepare and stage scenes from opera and operetta for public performance.
Daily Classes and Sessions (up to 35 hours per week) include:
- Dance and Movement for the Stage
- Techniques in dramatic interpretation and theatrical presentation
- Diction and Language
- Daily individual and ensemble coaching
- Staging of scenes
- Lectures (Vocal Health, Collaboration: You and the Pianist, Performance Anxiety, Learning Orientations)
- Individual voice lessons will be available for participants. (Lessons are voluntary and scheduled with the approval of the individual’s voice teacher.)
- Final performance of opera scenes
- Limited enrollment and generous tuition fellowships
* University of Houston faculty member
Fees (all fees are non-refundable)
- Application Fee: $80 (due with application)
- Registration Fee: $1400 (due upon acceptance and no later than April 19, 2020 - includes approximately 35 hours of instruction per week)
- Tuition: $0 (All participants receive a fellowship for the remaining tuition valued at $3200 underwritten by the Immanuel & Helen Olshan Foundation)
- Optional Room and Board Fee: $1100 (For out-of-town participants only requiring meals and housing during the Institute. University of Houston dormitory; double occupancy; three meals daily in UH dorm cafeteria). Must be requested no later than April 19. Note: participants who chose to live off campus are responsible for arranging their own housing and meals during the Vocal Institute and must also have reliable transportation to/from campus.
- Recorded Audition/Application Deadline: EXTENDED to April 13, 2020
- Acceptance Deadline: April 19, 2020
All Applicants Must Submit the Following Materials by April 13:
- Only college freshman and sophomore vocal students are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age by May 1, 2020 to be eligible to participate in the Vocal Institute.
- Completed application form with $80 non-refundable application fee (payable by credit card only via Acceptd)
- Attach your one-page resume & video recorded audition with two vocal selections, including one in English and one in Italian.
- International Applicants Not Currently in the U.S.: If accepted, you are responsible for obtaining your own visa to attend The Institute of Voice Studies.
Important Institute Dates:
- Arrival/Dorm Check-In (if staying on-campus): Wednesday, May 20 AFTER 9 A.M. AND BEFORE 12 P.M., Cougar Village I, located on the University of Houston campus at 4385 Wheeler Avenue, Houston, TX 77004. (Housing is NOT available before May 20 - please plan your arrival in Houston accordingly). Participants are responsible for transportation to Houston and also to the UH campus – airport transportation is not provided.
- Institute Start Date: Wednesday, May 20
Registration: Afternoon Time TBD, Moores School of Music Room 108
- Final Concert/Institute End Date: Friday, June 5, 7:30 p.m., Dudley Recital Hall
- Dorm Check-out (if staying on campus): Saturday, June 6 by 12 p.m. Participants are responsible for transportation between the UH campus and the airport – airport transportation is not provided.
For more information
Melanie Sonnenberg, Director
Photo Credit: Shannon Langham