We believe that teaching music is a learned art form. The music education program at the University of Houston’s Moores School of Music prepares current and future music teachers to meet the needs of music learners in the ever-changing landscape of music education in Texas and the United States. Through reflection, active music-making, and student-centered teaching experiences, our students gain the skills needed to provide engaging, relevant, and creative music-learning experiences for diverse student populations.
- the experiences and perspectives our students bring to the program from a variety of musical genres, traditions, and practices;
- the unique identities and philosophies of our students and colleagues;
- our relationships with Moores School of Music alumni, Houston-area music teachers, and non-music teachers who wish to incorporate music into their classrooms;
- being ambassadors for the University of Houston at the local, state, national, and international levels;
- dialogue about and applications of educational theories, informed pedagogical practices, and current research;
- our faculty’s ongoing contributions to the field of music education through research, presentations, clinics, and publications.