Admissions information and web updates for 2022 will be posted in November 2021. Please check back then.
Building Your Craft: From Studio to Stage
The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® invites applications for the The Institute of Voice Studies, Building Your Craft: From Studio to Stage, at the University of Houston Moores School of Music. The three-week intensive program for college freshmen and sophomore vocal students builds a foundation in stagecraft through classes in acting and dramatic interpretation, language and diction, solo and ensemble coaching, stage movement, dance, and body awareness. Led by a faculty with years of international experience, participants prepare and stage scenes from opera and operetta for public performance.
Daily Classes and Sessions (up to 35 hours per week) include:
- Dance and Movement for the Stage
- Techniques in dramatic interpretation and theatrical presentation
- Diction and Language
- Daily individual and ensemble coaching
- Staging of scenes
- Lectures (Vocal Health, Collaboration: You and the Pianist, Performance Anxiety, Learning Orientations)
- Individual voice lessons will be available for participants. (Lessons are voluntary and scheduled with the approval of the individual’s voice teacher.)
- Final performance of opera scenes
- Limited enrollment and generous tuition fellowships
* University of Houston faculty member
Fees (all fees are non-refundable)
- Application Fee: $80 (due with application)
- Registration Fee: $1400
- Tuition: $0 (All participants receive a fellowship for the remaining tuition valued at $3200 underwritten by the Immanuel & Helen Olshan Foundation)
- Optional Room and Board Fee: $1100 (For out-of-town participants only requiring meals and housing during the Institute. University of Houston dormitory; double occupancy; three meals daily in UH dorm cafeteria). Must be requested no later than TBA. Note: participants who chose to live off campus are responsible for arranging their own housing and meals during the Vocal Institute and must have reliable transportation.
- Recorded Audition/Application Deadline: TBA
- Acceptance Deadline: TBA
All Applicants Must Submit the Following Materials by TBA Deadline:
- Only college freshman and sophomore vocal students are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age by May 1, 2022 to be eligible to participate in the program.
- Completed application form with $80 non-refundable application fee (payable by credit card only, details TBA)
- Attach your one-page resume & video recorded audition with two vocal selections, including one in English and one in Italian.
- International Applicants not currently in the U.S.: If accepted, you are responsible for obtaining your own visa to attend The Institute of Voice Studies.
Important Institute Dates: TBA
TMF Covid 19 Health and Safety Statement:
The health and safety of all students, faculty, and on-campus guests are our primary concern. We will monitor the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic, following all university, city, and state guidelines, and all applicants will be notified if public safety concerns prove insurmountable.
For more information
Melanie Sonnenberg, Director