About the Competition
The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition is open to all Texas Music Festival Orchestra Fellows. All finalists will receive a cash prize and a medal. Subject to approval of the conductor and the availability of orchestral parts, the 2022 winner will perform with the Festival Orchestra under the baton of TBA at the Moores Opera House June 2022. The winner may also be invited to appear as a soloist with the Akademisches Orchester in Leipzig, Germany at the famed Gewandhaus.
- Competitors may only compete with one movement from a standard work from the CLASSICAL ERA (1730-1820) for solo instrument(s) and orchestra (one movement of a concerto, or one movement works are acceptable). Total length not to exceed 15 minutes, including full orchestral tuttis. Competitors may NOT compete with any work that does not meet these specifications. Please contact the TMF Office if you have questions about if your piece is eligible for the competition.
- Please note: The Vanhal Double Bass Concerto, Mvt. I, and Fischer Symphony with Eight Obbligato Timpani have been performed during the last two seasons. Competitors may not compete with any of these pieces for the 2022 Competition.
- Work must be performed from memory at all levels of adjudication.
- Competitors must bring, and provide, a piano score for the Preliminary Round. Piano score must be an orchestral reduction.
- Preliminary Round: Thursday, TBA, 7 p.m. Competitors will only be allowed an 8-12 minute performance time.
- Final Round: TBA. Final Round is open to the public and competitors will be allowed the full 15 minutes to perform their piece or movement.
- TMF reserves the right to reject any request to compete with repertoire that does not meet the requirements listed above.