I hope this email finds you and your families well. As we face the uncertainty of the upcoming fall semester, please rest assured that the University of Houston is committed to providing you with safe and flexible options to continue your education. Even in these unprecedented times, student success remains our top priority and we will continue to support your timely progress towards graduation.
To fulfill this commitment, the University is currently revising the fall semester class schedule regarding how classes will be delivered in order to respond to health and safety concerns including social distancing requirements. Since the fall class schedule was originally developed in January prior to the pandemic, these changes are designed to ensure the least disruption possible to the scheduling of classes being offered. Subject to regular minimum student enrollment guidelines, classes in which students have already enrolled will still be offered in the fall, and for the vast majority of classes it is how the class may be delivered which is subject to change.
Course delivery options in the fall will prioritize student choice, accommodate health and safety concerns, and allow the University to make rapid adjustments should a COVID-19 resurgence require a return to full remote operations. The available course delivery options are as follows:
- HyFlex classes have a safe number of students face-to-face in a socially distanced classroom, with lectures being livestreamed to allow additional students to participate in the class remotely. Lectures are also recorded for viewing by students online at a later time if necessary, with additional course materials posted online which can be accessed at any time.
- Synchronous Online classes have no face-to-face classes but do meet at a particular day and time in a virtual classroom. All class materials are available online and virtual lectures may be recorded to provide additional flexibility for students to view them at a later time.
- Asynchronous Online classes have no face-to-face classes or virtual meeting times. All class materials are available online at any time.
Based on the following calendar, revisions to the fall class schedule will be performed July 5 - 13, during which time class enrollment will be paused, and the class schedule will not be visible or accessible. However, please remember that during this time, even though you will be unable to view the schedule, you will remain enrolled in the classes you originally selected. Students who enrolled in classes prior to July 5 will have priority to make revisions to their fall class schedule based on the calendar:
- On July 9, students will receive a future enrollment appointment date from the Office of the University Registrar should they wish to change the mode of course delivery once the revised class schedule is released.
- On July 14, the University will release the revised schedule listing each class’s final mode of delivery: HyFlex; synchronous online; or asynchronous online. Students will be able to make any revisions to their fall schedule beginning July 15 based on their specific enrollment appointment date.
Students who enroll in fall courses after July 5 will be able to participate in an open enrollment period when this priority period has ended. Further information about when this open enrollment period will begin will be sent to students July 6.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we continue to finalize our plans to safely return to campus while providing an engaging learning environment for students even under such challenging circumstances.
If you have specific questions regarding this information or need clarification, please email email@example.com.