Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for housing?

Applying for housing is easy! Simply log in to AccessUH using your CougarNet ID or MyUH Login and select the myHousing icon to complete an application. Once your application is processed, you will receive a confirmation email.

What are my housing options?

The University of Houston (UH) has seven residential halls to accommodate students who choose to live on campus during the academic year. Those halls include:

Bayou Oaks

Cougar Place

Cougar Village I

Cougar Village II

Moody Towers

The Quad

University Lofts

Please note that Cougar Village I, Cougar Village II, & Moody Towers – South are reserved for first-year students. Bayou Oaks, Cougar Place, Moody Towers – North and, The Quads are available to students who have sophomore standing or higher. The University Lofts community is available to students who have junior standing or higher or are age 21 or older by Sept. 1. UH is also affiliated with two partner properties, Cambridge Oaks and Cullen Oaks, both of which are located on campus and privately managed.

Can I tour the residence halls?

Students can access virtual tours for all UH residence halls here. To schedule an in-person tour, please contact the UH Admissions Office using this link.

How much does it cost to live on campus?

Rates vary for each room type and residence hall. For a cost comparison, view SHRL’s latest Rate Sheet.

How do I find a roommate?

Students who have completed a UH Housing Agreement can find a roommate using RoomSync. RoomSync is a self-selection app that allows students to find potential roommates that they may be compatible with. When your Housing Agreement is completed, you will receive an email with a link inviting you to join RoomSync. After joining RoomSync and creating a profile, you will be able to view potential roommate matches. Roomsync is only open for students to use during the Self-Assignment Period, which runs March 1 – May 31, 2024.

How do I select my bedspace?

After submitting a completed Housing Agreement, students can select a bedspace during the Self-Assignment Period – March 1 -May 31, 2024. Bedspaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis during the Self-Assignment Period. If a student does not participate or applies after the Self-Assignment Period, an SHRL staff member will manually assign the student to an available bedspace.

Applicants are not able to select their bedspace for the Spring & Summer terms. Applicants are assigned to a residence hall by SHRL staff for these terms.

Are first-year students required to live on campus at UH?

No, first-year students are not required to live on campus.

Are graduate students able to apply for housing?

Yes, graduate students can apply for housing! Graduate students can live in Cougar Place, Moody Towers, Bayou Oaks, or the University Lofts.

Are residence halls open during the Winter Break?


What residence hall is open for summer housing?

All summer applicants will live in The Quad. Current Bayou Oaks and University Lofts residents remain in the same bed space for Summer term.

Will I need my Cougar Card to live on campus? How can I obtain my Cougar Card?

Your Cougar Card is the official University of Houston access card for all students, allowing you entry to your on-campus housing location, to use your ShastaBUCKS, meal plans and on-campus printing. Your card also provides entry to the UH Recreation Center and most UH-sponsored athletic events and activities. Visit the Cougar Card website for more information.

How do I contact my residence hall front desk?

For general housing questions, contact the main Housing Office (M-F, 8am-5pm) at 713-743-6000.

You are also encouraged to call your front desk using the phone numbers below:

  • Bayou Oaks - 713-743-6594
  • Cougar Place - 713-743-6994
  • Cougar Village I - 832-842-6020
  • Cougar Village II - 713-743-6432
  • Moody Towers North - 713-743-6057
  • Moody Towers South - 713-743-6056
  • The Quad - 713-743-6044
  • University Lofts - 832-842-5638

What are my dining options if I choose to stay on campus?

For information about dining services and meal plans, click here.

Where can I park?

Residents who choose to bring a car to campus can purchase a parking permit through UH Parking & Transportation. A list of available permit options can be viewed here.