Please review the ARC Program application instructions here
Eligibility for ARC Program
- Must be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior at the University of Houston main campus
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
- May not be enrolled in a post-baccalaureate, graduate, or professional program
- Must have a full-time UH faculty mentor
- Students may not participate in ARC at the same time as PURS or receive course credit for the project
Notes About Applying
- If your research proposal includes working with human subjects, then you must receive approval from the University's Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to initiating your research.
- Students graduating in Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 are not eligible for the 2021-2022 program.
- May 2022 graduates are eligible for the 2021-2022 ARC Program, but may not request additional implementation funds.
- No course credit (e.g., independent study, Senior Honors Thesis) will be offered for participation in this program.
- Selected students may not apply for the ARC program in a future year
Please be aware that this is a competitive program with finite funding, and the Office of Undergraduate Research and Major Awards will receive more strong proposals than they are able to fund. For this reason, UH faculty are encouraged to limit their submissions to only one proposal for a single ARC application cycle.
- Commitment to full year of active participation in the ARC Program (fall and spring)
- Minimum of 6-7 hours of research activity per week focused on action research project
- Complete pre- and post-surveys administered by the Cougar Initiative to Engage (CITE) Office, as well as any assessments from the Office of Undergraduate Research and Major Awards
- Present a research poster or paper at Undergraduate Research Day
- Submit a research paper to a panel to discuss the work completed, propose an implementation plan, and request additional funds up to $750 if needed to launch your research-supported action plan
- Submit a reflective essay (may be an ePortfolio) about your experience bringing together service and research as an undergraduate at the University of Houston
Contact Dr. Brittni MacLeod with any questions.