Terry Foundation Scholarship for Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students
The Terry Foundation is a Houston-based philanthropic organization that provides scholarships for outstanding Texas students to attend in-state public colleges and universities, including the University of Houston. Established in 1986 by Nancy & Howard Terry, the foundation has awarded scholarships to thousands of Freshmen and transfer students from all over the state.
For Freshmen students, the Terry Foundation Traditional scholarship amount is based on the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, books, room and board, and miscellaneous expenses), is adjusted individually based on additional sources of financial support, and is renewable for eight semesters of undergraduate study. For Transfer students, the Terry Foundation Transfer scholarship will cover 65 percent of the UH cost of attendance—with a minimum award of $19,000 per year—and is renewable for six semesters of undergraduate study.
In addition, each Terry Scholar is eligible to receive a study abroad stipend in the amount of $5000 to fund their study abroad experience. Between the 2015-19 academic years, 85 Terry Scholars received over $750,000 from the Terry Foundation to fund their study abroad experiences.
To be considered for either of these scholarships, applicants should demonstrate the following:
Freshman Applicant Qualifications:
- Financial need
- A record of leadership in school and community
- Strong academic abilities as evidenced by grades and SAT/ACT scores
- Meet U.S. and Texas residency and citizenship requirements sufficient to qualify for in-state tuition and for federal aid assistance
- Graduation from a Texas high school or homeschool
- Reside on campus for the first year
- Admission for Fall 2020 to the University of Houston as a full-time entering Freshman student
How to Apply - Freshman Application
The Freshman application opens August 1,
- Apply and be accepted to the University of Houston no later than December 13, 2019.
- Submit a completed application by noon (12 p.m. CST) on December 13, 2019:
- Complete online application
- Required essays and resume (submit via online application).
- Your full name and UHID must appear at the top of each page of your essays. The essay prompt must appear at the top of the first page of each essay.
- Essay 1: Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today?
- Essay 2: In approximately 500 words, describe an example of your leadership. Be sure to describe your actions and the actions of those around you and to explain what you accomplished.
- Two letters of recommendation, on official stationery, addressing your academic and leadership abilities. Letters will be submitted electronically by your letter writers. You will provide the names and emails of your two recommendation letter writers. Once you submit your application, the letter writers you have listed will be emailed and requested to upload your letter through an online form.
- Important: All letters of recommendation must be submitted by the application deadline (December 13, 2019). Letters not submitted via the online form will NOT be accepted. Please make sure your letter writers have your UHID and email address, as they will need it when submitting your letter.
- Please note: You are still expected to ask potential letter writers if they would be willing to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf prior to submitting this form.
- A sealed, official high school transcript mailed to the address below. Mailed transcripts must
bypostmarked by December 13, 2019.
- Unofficial college transcript(s), if applicable. If you have more than 15 hours of college credits from a dual credit program, community college, or university (excluding AP/IB credits), you must also submit your unofficial college transcript. You can submit this transcript via the online application.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by January 10, 2020.
- Apply for on-campus housing once you have been admitted to UH. Freshman Terry Scholars are required to live on campus. On-campus housing for Terry Scholars is located in Honors housing in Cougar Village I.
Transfer Applicant Qualifications:
- Financial need
- A record of leadership in school and community
- Strong academic abilities (minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA)
- U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident and meet Texas residency requirements to qualify for in-state tuition and for federal financial aid assistance.
- Completed at least 30 hours of
transferrable, post-high school credit in residence at a Texas college or university at the time of application
- Be at least 20 years of age on May 1 of the year in which the application is submitted
Currentcontinuous resident of the State of Texas for at least 3 years as of June 2020
- Admission for Summer or Fall 2020 to the University of Houston as a full-time Transfer student, for the purpose of completing your first baccalaureate degree
- Applicants who have previously interviewed for a Terry Scholarship (traditional or transfer) and were not selected are not eligible.
- Applicants who are currently attending, or have previously attended, a Terry-affiliated university will not be considered for a Terry Foundation Transfer Scholarship.
How to Apply - Transfer Application
The Transfer application opens November 1,
- Submit a completed application by noon on March 6, 2020.
- Complete an online application
- Submit a resume (upload via the online application)
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Mailed transcripts must be postmarked by February 28, 2020.
- Letters of recommendation are NOT required for the Transfer Application, but up to one letter can be accepted. The letter of recommendation will be submitted online via an electronic form. You will provide the names and emails of your recommendation letter writer in the application. Once you submit your application, the letter writer you have listed will be emailed and requested to upload your letter through an online form.
- Important: All letters of recommendation must be submitted by the application deadline (March 6, 2020). Letters not submitted via the online form will NOT be accepted. Please make sure your letter writers have your UHID and email address, as they will need it when submitting your letter.
- Complete the FAFSA (recommended) by April 1, 2020.
- Apply and be accepted to the University of Houston for Summer or Fall 2020 no later than February 28, 2020. Your application will not be completed until you are admitted to the University of Houston as a transfer student.
If you have any questions, please contact the University of Houston Terry Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.Terry Transfer Scholarship CompetitionHonors CollegeM.D. Anderson Library4333 University