Terry Foundation Scholarship for Incoming Freshmen
The Terry Foundation is a Houston-based philanthropic organization that provides scholarships for outstanding Texas students to attend in-state public colleges and universities, including the University of Houston. Established in 1986 by Nancy and Howard Terry, the Foundation has awarded scholarships to thousands of freshmen and transfer students from all over the state.
For freshman students, the Terry Foundation Traditional Scholarship amount is based on the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, books, room and board, and miscellaneous expenses), individually adjusted based on additional sources of financial support and renewable for eight semesters of undergraduate study.
In addition, each Terry Scholar is eligible to receive a study abroad stipend in the amount of $5,000 to fund their study abroad experience.
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants should demonstrate the following:
Freshman Applicant Qualifications:
- Financial need
- A record of leadership in school and community
- Strong academic abilities as evidenced by grades and SAT/ACT scores
- Please note that test scores are not required for the Terry Foundation Scholarship application for the Fall 2024 cycle.
- Meet U.S. and Texas residency and citizenship requirements sufficient to qualify for in-state tuition and for federal aid assistance
- Graduation from a Texas high school or homeschool
- Reside on campus for the first year
- Admission for Fall 2024 to the University of Houston as a full-time entering freshman student
How to Apply
The Terry Foundation Scholarship at UH application opens August 1,
- Apply and be accepted to the University of Houston no later than December 8, 2023.
- Submit a completed application by noon (12 p.m. CST) on December 8, 2023:
- Complete the online application.
- Submit required essays and résumé (via online application).
- For BOTH of the topics below, submit a typed essay of 250 words (minimum). Your full name and UH ID must appear at the top of each page of your essays. The essay prompt must appear at the top of the first page of each essay.
- Essay 1: Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today?
- Essay 2: In approximately 500 words, describe an example of your leadership. Be sure to describe your actions and the actions of those around you and to explain what you accomplished.
- One letter of recommendation, on official stationery, addressing your academic and leadership abilities. Letters will be submitted electronically by your letter writers. You will provide the name and email of your recommendation letter writer. Once you submit your application, the letter writer you have listed will be emailed and requested to upload your letter through an online form.
- Important: All letters of recommendation must be submitted by the application deadline (December 8, 2023). Letters not submitted via the online form will NOT be accepted. Please make sure your letter writer has your UH ID and email address, as they will need them when submitting your letter. You will receive a confirmation email once a letter is submitted on your behalf. If you have not received a confirmation email, it is your responsibility to confirm with your recommender that your letter of recommendation has been submitted.
- Please note: You are still expected to ask potential letter writer if they would be willing to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf prior to submitting this form. Please plan to submit your application in a manner that would allow appropriate time for your recommender to submit your letter.
- A sealed, official high school transcript mailed to the address below. Mailed transcripts must
bepostmarked by December 8, 2023.
- Unofficial college transcript(s), if applicable. If you have more than 12 hours of college credits from a dual credit program, community college or university (excluding AP/IB credits), you must also submit your unofficial college transcript. You can submit this transcript via the online application.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by January 31, 2024.
- (Strongly Recommended) Apply for on-campus housing once you have been admitted to UH. Freshman Terry Scholars are required to live on campus. On-campus housing for Terry Scholars is located in Honors housing in Cougar Village I.