Skip to main content


Questions about the financial aid process at UH? Check here for answers. If your question isn't addressed here, feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office.

Why do I have to make Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive financial aid?

Federal law requires that schools administering federal aid set a minimum academic performance standard in order to continue to receive financial aid. A school must monitor a student’s qualitative (GPA) and quantitative (course completion) performance. The federal standards require a 2.0 cumulative GPA, 67-percent cumulative completion ratio, and total hours to not exceed 150 percent of the required program.

If I am not making academic progress and am denied my aid, may I still receive my Federal Direct Loans?
No, Satisfactory Academic Progress is calculated for ALL federal programs administered by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at the University of Houston, including Federal Direct Loans.

What will cause my appeal to be rejected or denied?
If your appeal is not completed, properly signed, and if no corroborating documents are included, your appeal is considered incomplete. Students who miss the deadline or fail to turn in additional requested documents in a timely fashion will be denied. We encourage students to put in effort towards their typed statement, as this is a reflection of your commitment towards improving academic performance.

What do quantitative and qualitative measurements mean?
Qualitative measurements refer to your cumulative GPA.

Quantitative measurements monitor:

  1. Ratio of courses completed. The # of courses you completed versus the # of courses you attempted.
  2. Total attempted hours. The total number of courses you enrolled in to receive your degree.

Will my transfer credit count toward the quantitative measure of my academic performance?
Yes, the law requires that we consider ALL course work accepted by the University in our calculations of the ratio of courses completed and cumulative hours. However, transfer credits will not help improve your cumulative GPA at UH.

Is there a deadline to submit a SAP appeal?
We strongly encourage you to submit your completed SAP Appeal by the priority deadline appeal submission date, which will be notated on the appeal. Appeals submitted after the final deadlines will not be accepted and/or will be denied. Students who submit incomplete SAP appeals without corroborating documents will experience delays in processing and will not have met the priority deadline.

If I am not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress, will I be dropped by the fee payment deadline due to non-payment?
Appeals not received by the priority deadline appeal submission date are subject to being dropped due to non-payment and no selection of a payment or deferment plan.

How long after my appeal is approved will my financial aid funds be released?
If your appeal is approved prior to the 1st date of classes and you have fulfilled all disbursement requirements, loans will begin to apply within the first week of classes. If your appeal is approved after the 1st date of classes and you have fulfilled all disbursement requirements, your funds will be applied within 5 business days from the approval of the appeal. Remember that Federal Direct Loans require at least 6 credit hours of enrollment and completion of the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note at

Grants will disburse the day after the Official Reporting Day. Remember that certain grants require minimum enrollment (i.e., 9 credit semester hours for TEXAS Grant).

When will my appeal be reviewed?
We strongly encourage that you submit your completed SAP Appeal as soon as possible so that the committee may have ample time to review the applications. Appeals will be reviewed within four-six (4-6) weeks of submission. If you submitted an incomplete SAP appeal and have since then turned in additional documents, please note that it may take an additional four (4) weeks to process the documents submitted late. It is best to turn in a complete appeal with all corroborating documents by the deadline.

Where do I submit my Appeal Form?
Appeals can be uploaded via your myUH self-service account, faxed to our office at (713) 743-9098 or submitted in person to the SFA counter in the Welcome Center. When uploading your documents, please save all pages as one PDF for uploading. We encourage you to visit with an advisor to have your initial appeal reviewed for completion.

How many times can I submit an appeal?
You are only allowed to appeal once during your academic career until you are able to meet SAP again. Students who appeal, but fail to meet cumulative academic standards after the probation semester will lose their ability to appeal again and must pay for courses out of pocket. You may be selected to turn in a SAP plan if we have deemed that it may take you more than one semester to cumulatively improve your academic performance. Once you meet cumulative standards, your SAP status becomes whole and any future infractions of the SAP requirements may allow for additional appeal submissions.