Test Score Requirements
As part of the application for graduate degree programs, the UH College of Education requires the following official test scores:
- Official GRE scores: All domestic and international applicants for graduate degree programs must submit official GRE scores unless a waiver is granted. GRE scores must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS). GRE scores are NOT required for certificate and certification-only programs.
- English proficiency: International applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the University. This can can be satisfied by receiving a baccalaureate degree from a regionally U.S. accredited institution, from an institution at which English is the medium of instruction in certain countries, or official submission of scores for TOEFL, IELTS or LLC.
The UH College of Education offers GRE waivers for applicants to certain programs who meet the requirements.
GRE Waiver Options Available to All Applicants
- M.Ed. in Administration and Supervision GRE Waiver Qualifications
- M.Ed. in Special Populations GRE Waiver Qualifications
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction GRE Waiver Qualifications
Applicants to a graduate program who hold a terminal doctoral degree, including M.D., J.D., or Ph.D., from this or any other regionally-accredited domestic institution are not required to submit GRE results as a part of an application packet to UH, though individual programs may still choose to require them.
Applicants holding a terminal doctoral degree earned outside the United States are subject to review by the Graduate School before a waiver of the GRE will be granted. The Graduate School must certify whether a doctoral degree earned outside the United States meets the same academic standards as a domestic M.D., J.D., or Ph.D.
GRE Waiver Options for UH Alumni (Within Three Years)
View the UH GRE Waiver Qualifications for the following programs:
- Ed.D. in Administration and Supervision
- Ed.D. in Counseling
- Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Ed.D. in Special Populations
- Ed.D. in Professional Leadership
The following exams can be used to demonstrate English proficiency:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The minimum TOEFL score required is 79 or higher for the internet-based test (iBT). The minimum TOEFL score for the paper-based (pBT) exam is 550 or higher. TOEFL scores must be received directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the University. (School Code: 6870)
International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
The minimum IELTS score required is an overall band score of a 6.5 or higher. The testing agency should mail the official results directly to the University. (School Code: 6870)
Pearson Test of English (PTE)
The overall score must be 53 or higher. The testing agency should mail the official results directly to the University. (School Code: 6870)
UH Language and Culture Center (LCC)
Completion of Level 6 of the University of Houston's Language and Culture Center. Formal approval from the office must be provided to the University.