Academic Impact Cougar Tutors take tutoring to the next level by providing guidance for students towards not only academic, but personal excellence that will reach far beyond their secondary school years. Academic Impact Cougar Tutors will be active participants in the learning, growth, and personal development of students with the goal of preparing students to successfully attend college.
What is an Academic Impact Cougar Tutor?
The Academic Impact Cougar Tutor program supports middle and high-school students' preparation for college through teaching necessary learning skills, reinforcing the academic core, and encouraging rigorous student course taking.
What Will I Do as an Academic Impact Cougar Tutor?
AI Cougar Tutors support local middle and high-school students by providing direct instructional support to students, with the assistance and supervision of a faculty member. In addition, AI Cougar Tutors will serve as role models to students. Tutors will work a minimum of 12 hours per week, spread out over 2-3 days per week in one of the following subjects: Math, Science, English, or Writing. English/Spanish bilingual tutors a plus!
Are there any qualifications to apply?
Yes, all applicants must have, at a minimum:
- A Bachelor’s degree or evidence of earned college credit in the field of education; OR successful enrollment in a science, math, or liberal arts Bachelor’s Program
- Previous student tutoring or mentoring experience
- Passionate belief in the ability of all students to graduate college-ready
- Pass mandatory pre-service background checks.
- Demonstrated responsibility and reliability
- Effective communication skills with students and adults
- Be willing to accept and incorporate constructive feedback from coaches and program staff.
- Have strong personal standards of excellence, ethics and integrity.
Ready to Apply?
You can complete an application and submit your resume in Cougar Pathway jobs. If you have any questions about the program please contact ACES Institute program director, Sarah Fard, at firstname.lastname@example.org.