Finances - University of Houston
Skip to main content


We know that attending college can be expensive – including tuition and fees, books, and housing – it is not uncommon for students to find themselves strapped. At the University of Houston, we offer several ways to provide support if you find yourself in an unexpected financial predicament.

On-campus Resources

Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (SFA)

This is your one-stop shop to understand, apply for, and receive financial aid for your education-related expenses. As a current or prospective student, your eligibility is calculated based on the information submitted on your FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or TASFA, the Texas Application for State Financial Aid, both of which must be completed annually. Using grants, scholarships, loans, and student employment, the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will work to assist you through the process of paying for school. If you are a current aid recipient experiencing financial hardship, you should reach out to SFA. Advisors can provide guidance on how to petition for additional aid.

You can connect with staff at the Welcome Center, via email or via the Enrollment Services Call Center at (713) 743-1010, option 5.

Student Business Services

Student Business Services, which coordinates billing and payment of all university tuition and fees, is located in the Welcome Center and accessible via the Enrollment Services Call Center. You can learn about the various university installment plans and deferment plans for the payment of tuition and fees through Student Business Services. If you are eligible, payment plans allow you to delay tuition payments without risking course cancellation for non-payment, subject to the terms and conditions of the payment plan agreement.

Financial Literacy Education

Integrated Enrollment Services is home to our on-campus financial literacy counselor and education program. From learning budgeting basics to calculating your cost to attend school, this program can help students in all sorts of financial situations. Email us to learn more and make a free appointment.

Emergency Loans

The Dean of Students Office will issue financial emergency loans for up to $500. You apply for the loan in the Dean of Students Office by completing the contact card and going through the preliminary screening interview. An assistant dean will determine your financial eligibility and verify that you are not on the delinquent list. You must complete the loan agreement and the Dean signs off on the loan. Once the paperwork is processed, you’ll be directed to Student Business Services, where they will issue up to $500 in cash.

Emergency Book Loan

The University of Houston is committed to ensuring you have access to classroom materials. A book loan allows you to purchase books at the beginning of the semester, even if your financial aid refund is not yet available. You can apply through myUH under "Student Financials" and "Optional Fees," although there is no fee associated with the book loan program. There is no approval process, you may simply enroll in the program. Repayment of the book loan is due by the 60th calendar day of the fall or spring semesters and the 30th day of a shorter term.

UH LGBTQ Emergency Crisis Aid

The UH LGBTQ Emergency Crisis Aid is operated by the UH LGBTQ Alumni Association and is available to UH Main Campus LGBTQIA+ students who have encountered a situation involving unusual financial hardship caused by emergency or circumstances beyond the students' control including housing or food insecurity, or other resource-based needs that threaten a student's ability to remain enrolled and to successfully complete their degree.

This aid is for current UH Main Campus students who are having short-term financial difficulty related to their sexual orientation or gender identity. The aid is intended to assist the student in maintaining or improving their academic standing. No applicant will be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

If you believe you have a circumstance and would like to have your situation evaluated for funds, please complete this application. Provide as much detail as possible so that your needs are fully understood. Once the application is received, representatives from the LGBTQ Alumni Association will review your application and will contact you for a follow-up conversation or in-person meeting. Submission of this application does not guarantee the applicant will be awarded.

For more information and to apply, please click on the following link.

We are consistently requesting feedback to improve the CoogsCare website and its resources. Please consider sharing your experience via our short survey.