It is necessary to place a 14-day self-quarantine (isolation from others) restriction on students, faculty and staff returning from international travel, whether personal or university related. During the quarantine, access to University campuses or activities is prohibited. The University of Houston does not have facilities on campus for self-quarantine at this time.
General Self-Quarantine Guidelines
Stay at home and do not go to class or work, participate in any campus activities or come to campus.
- Stay home (or other location approved by your local health department). This means do not go to school, work, public areas, or attend large gatherings. If you need medical care, call your health care provider.
- Postpone all non-essential medical appointments until you are out of self-quarantine.
- Do not return to class or work, participate in any campus activities or come to campus.
- Stay away from public areas including grocery stores, malls, theaters and large public gathering spaces.
- Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home.
- Monitor your symptoms and if they develop or worsen then call your health care provider BEFORE seeking in-person care.
- Do not use public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis.
- Postpone any travel. If travel is absolutely necessary, you need to coordinate with your local health department. If you travel and become ill, you may not be able to return home.
- Wash your hands often and practice good hygiene.
You should follow these self-monitoring guidelines:
- Measure your temperature twice a day.
- Watch for cough or difficulty breathing.
- Call ahead before you go to your doctor’s office or to an emergency room. Tell them your symptoms and disclose any prior travel.
UH Students Under Self-Quarantine
Students should ask professors for permission to perform academic work remotely. Students who do not feel comfortable contacting professors directly can contact the Self-Quarantine Academic Coordinator for assistance: Travelhealthservices@uh.edu
UH Employees Under Self-Quarantine
UH employees may be able to work remotely, with supervisor approval. Supervisors will inform employees whether remote work is permitted and how to report their time (whether sick leave or vacation leave will be required) during the self-quarantine period.
Returning to Campus
UH community members will need to notify the university of your intent to return to campus by sending an email to: Travelhealthservices@uh.edu
Written approval is required before any UH community member may return to campus after self-quarantine. UH community members under self-quarantine will be provided a screening questionnaire to answer regarding health symptoms. Based on the responses to the questionnaire, the community member may be directed to a health care provider before being approved to return to campus.