The University of Houston plans to deliver a “normal” fall 2021 semester. As University faculty and staff make the full transition back to campus, summer courses remain both virtual and in-person for the summer 2021.
Modes of Instruction
Course delivery options through summer 2021 prioritizes student choice, ranging from in-person to online modes of instruction. Note: instruction for fall 2021 will return to pre-COVID course delivery options, including more in-person classes.
Summer 2021 Course Delivery Options
Hyflex classes have a safe number of students meet face-to-face in a socially distanced classroom. Lectures will be livestreamed to allow additional students to participate in the class remotely. Lectures are also recorded for student viewing online later if necessary, with additional course materials posted online, which can be accessed at any time.
Hybrid classes have a fixed meeting pattern that includes both face-to-face and virtual classrooms. For example, a hybrid class might meet on a Tuesday/Thursday meeting pattern, with the Tuesday class meeting face-to-face and the Thursday class meeting virtually.
Synchronous classes do not meet face-to-face, but they do meet at a specific time and day(s) of the week in a virtual classroom. All class materials are available online, and virtual lectures may be recorded to provide additional flexibility for students to view them later.
Asynchronous classes do not meet face-to-face, and they do not have a regularly scheduled meeting time. Most of the class materials are available online at any time. Some asynchronous online classes may include virtual class meetings, which will be arranged on a class-by-class basis by the instructor.
Classroom Configuration and Capacity
UH continues to have reduced classroom capacity to accommodate social distancing requirements through summer 2021.
- The in-person section of a HyFlex or Hybrid class cannot exceed 50 students.
- Classroom capacity has been reduced to accommodate social distancing requirements, and classrooms have been outfitted with equipment to accommodate online learning for summer 2021.
- Fall 2021 classrooms are expected to return to pre-COVID-19 seating capacities, although capacities may change should we receive updated advice from our health experts.
Interim Undergraduate Grading Policy
Please note that starting the Spring 2021 semester, courses return to the standard grading policy.
Learn More About the Undergraduate Grading Policy >>
Excused Absence Policies
Regular class attendance, participation and engagement in coursework are important contributors to student success.
- Learn More About the Excused Absence Policies for Undergraduate Students >>
- Learn More About the Excused Absence Policies for Graduate and Professional Programs >>
A few key tips and resources as students learn remotely through summer 2021.