Building on emerging excellence in creative writing, the MFA student should work toward increased sophistication in his/her art. Correspondingly, the MFA student should have training in literary history and the intellectual and artistic debates that inform current literature. The MFA constitutes solid preparation for creative publication, expert teaching in creative writing and literature, leadership in communications for business, education and arts organizations, or entrance into a PhD program in literature and creative writing.
Prospective students are encouraged to visit the Creative Writing Website.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- 3.0 GPA in undergraduate studies
- One foreign language (Student can complete this requirement while in residence.)
Fall Admission Application Deadline: January 15
No Spring Admission
Consult the Creative Writing Program website for details on required materials and submission procedures.
- 36 hours of coursework
- Foreign language competence. Students must demonstrate reading knowledge of a foreign language.
- 6 hrs MFA thesis
Distribution of Coursework
- 15 hours in creative writing, including:
- 9 hours in the primary genre
- 3 hours of Master Workshop
- 3 hours of Poetic Forms and Techniques for poetry students, Fiction Forms and Techniques for fiction students, or Nonfiction Forms and Techniques for nonfiction students. Students are strongly encouraged to take the course in Forms and Techniques early in the MFA program.
- 3 hours of Writers on Literature
- 12 hours in English or American literature or other literary studies (Students should divide their courses between early and later literatures. Early literature is defined as British literature before 1800 and American literature before 1865.)
- 6 hours of elective courses (literature or other literary studies, workshop in the primary genre, workshop in a crossover genre, Writers on Literature, or coursework in another department that complements the student's program)
General Policies and Procedures
Program guidelines are available here.