Skip to main content

Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Information

Beginning January 2012, Texas State Law (SB 1107) mandates that all entering students under the age of 22 provide a form signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that a student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration.

What is bacterial meningitis?

Bacterial meningitis is a serious, potentially deadly disease that can progress extremely fast. Please consult a physician about the need for the immunization against bacterial meningitis to prevent the disease. More information can also be found at the website for the Center for Disease Control.

Who is required to comply with the Meningitis Vaccination Law?

  • All newly admitted students under the age of 22.
  • Students under the age of 22 who are returning to the Language and Culture Center after an absence of at least one term.

What is considered an acceptable meningitis vaccine?

The MCV4 and MPSV4 are the only vaccines currently accepted.

MCV4 is also known as quadrivalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine.

MPSV4 is also known as meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine.

Please visit the CDC website for additional information.

What are the acceptable forms of proof?

  • An official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority. Documentation must be in English and submitted with the Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Compliance Form.
  • A Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Compliance Form containing the required information with the signature or stamp of a physician or his/her designee, or public health personnel*. The form must be completed fully, including the month, day, and year the vaccination dose or booster was administered.
  • An official record received from school officials, including a record from another state.

All documentation must include the month, date, and year that the vaccine or booster dose was administered.

*Please read the compliance form instructions carefully. All students must choose either option 1 or 2 and fully complete the document. The Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Compliance Form must have the health professional's signature and credentials and be submitted with attachments to UH.


Where do I submit my proof and the Compliance Form?

You must submit proof and the Compliance Form together with your application and all required documents. For faster processing, write your myUH ID number on the top right corner of document.

Mail or Drop-off documents to:
Language and Culture Center
116 Roy Cullen Bldg. 
Houston, Texas 77204-3014 

Email scanned documents to*:

Please include your name, UH ID number and "Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Proof" in the subject line of the email.

Fax documents to*:

Please be sure to write student's myUH ID at the top of each page. The fax should include all documents in a single transmission.

*Note: Affidavits from physicians stating that the immunization would be detrimental to the student's health, or Conscience Objector Affidavits from the Texas Department of State Health Services are NOT accepted by email or fax. Those affidavits must have originals submitted in person or by mail.


Will a vaccination from my country fulfill UH's requirement?

Yes, a vaccination record for one of the two accepted vaccines from a country outside the U.S. will meet the requirements. If the vaccination record is in a language other than English, we will need a certified English translation of the document.


Can I present medical documentation from my country in order to get an exemption due to medical reasons?

Unfortunately, the law requires that you visit a doctor in the U.S. to be able to get an exemption for medical reasons. We recommend that you bring an English translation of your records with you, so that you can present them to a U.S. physician. You will need to make sure that your travel arrangements will give you sufficient time to visit a doctor in the U.S.


How can I get an exemption for reasons of conscience?

You must follow the same guidelines and procedures outlined for domestic students. Please visit the Texas Department of State Health Services for more information.


What happens if I don't provide the necessary documentation?

You will not be able to attend classes until the proper documentation is received.