The Center for Mexican American & Latino/a Studies invites postdoctoral scholars who have completed a Ph.D. to apply for its Visiting Scholar Program. The Visiting Scholar Program aims to support postdoctoral scholars whose research focus on Mexican American and Latinx studies regardless of the disciplinary focus. Applicants’ research should have the potential to advance and contribute to the Center’s mission and ongoing projects.
About the Program
Visiting Scholars join the Center for Mexican American & Latino/a Studies as postdoctoral fellows and actively participate in the Center’s research activities and seminars. The Visiting Scholar program provides time and space for the fellows to work on preparing either a book manuscript based on their dissertation or related academic publications.
Eligibility and Requirements
Preference will be given to postdoctoral scholars whose research interests coincide with the Center for Mexican American & Latino/a Studies’ current focus on applied quantitative or qualitative methods and whose area of research focuses on Mexican American and/or Latino/a studies. The duration of the Visiting Scholar program is one academic year.
- Candidates for 2022 Visiting Scholar program must have completed a Ph.D. by August 1, 2022.
- Candidates with a doctorate or equivalent degree in any field are eligible and may propose research projects in any discipline.
- Successful candidates should be prepared to commit to work at CMALS for the entire academic year and requires residency at the University of Houston Main Campus and any fieldwork trip must be scheduled for the summer or January recess.
- Candidates are expected to teach one course in their field as well as produce a report on a topic agreed with the Center.
Fellows will receive a stipend commensurate with experience, shared office space at the Center for Mexican American & Latino/a Studies, and access to UH’s libraries and online library services.
How to Apply
Position will remain open until filled.
Additional information about the CMALS Visiting Scholar position can be obtained by contacting the Center for Mexican American & Latino/a Studies at email@example.com.
To apply, submit the following materials to the following link here:
- Cover Letter
- Current Vitae
- Two page description of a proposed research project that will be undertaken while in residence
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts