Undergraduate Catalog Archive: Fall 2010 - Summer 2011
Base Catalog

Undergraduate Catalog F10-S11 Base Archive

Related Links

Student Services

Table of Contents

Dean of Students

The academic success of individual students is the primary concern of the Dean of Students Office. Different programs address the unique needs of freshmen and transfer students. The Dean, Assistant Deans, and the office staff offer problem solving services to all students with questions or concerns that may affect their campus life.

Students who need information about campus services and policies will find helpful answers at the office located in room 252 of the University Center. University policy interpretation, student behavior code, and code enforcement through university judicial procedures are also responsibilities of the Dean of Students Office.

For additional information or copies of the Student Handbook, a guide to university policies, facilities, and services, call 713-743-5470.

Student Information and Assistance Center

The Student Information and Assistance Center (SIAC) provides information on a variety of campus-related services and activities and serves as a drop-off, delivery, and distribution point for many UH departmental forms and documents. SIAC is funded by student service fees and during fall and spring is open:

  • Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
  • Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

For more information or assistance call 713-743-5060.


The Ombudservice is comprised of Designated Problem-Solvers located in each major department of the university who serve as liaisons with other departments and colleges to help facilitate resolution of student problems in the areas of:

  • enrollment (registration)
  • housing
  • grade issues
  • financial aid
  • parking
  • college problems
  • residency status
  • complaints or grievances against other administrative units
  • and other concerns related to the university.

Ask for the Designated Problem-Solver in the department or administrative unit or contact the Dean of Students Office at 713-743-5470.

Student Responsibilities

Students are expected to conduct themselves in a mature and responsible manner, respect the opinions, rights, and personal property of others, and meet their financial obligations.

Specific policies regarding student life and academic honesty are available in the Dean of Students Office located in the University Center. These policies are published in the Student Handbook available through the Dean of Students Office or at

Professors are responsible for the initial enforcement of academic honesty policies, but the responsibility for enforcing student life policies rests with the Dean of Students, the campus police, and the University Hearing Board.

Disciplinary records are confidential and are not released to anyone off campus without the students’ written permission unless subpoenaed.

See the Academic Regulations and Degree Requirements section for more information on student responsibilities.

Identification Cards

Persons on the premises of the University of Houston or utilizing its services may be required to furnish proof of identity when requested. Students are required to obtain and show proof of a valid university ID card and present it upon request of a university official.

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association (SGA) is the university’s student government and official student representative organization. The SGA works to improve the quality of education and campus life and participates in policy-making decisions by recommending students to sit on various university committees, councils, and boards, and by representing the interests of students to the faculty, administration, and Board of Regents.

These and other functions are carried out through the SGA’s three-branch structure, which includes the Student Senate; the student body president, vice president, and staff; and judicial.

All students benefit from the work of the Student Government Association, and those who choose to become directly involved are provided with learning experiences not gained through classroom instruction.

Students who wish to serve in the Student Government Association or communicate with their student representatives should call the Student Government Association offices at 713-743-5220. The Student Government Association is funded by student service fees. For more information contact

Student Organizations

Cultivating student learning and development by providing quality programs and services for a diverse campus community.

At the University of Houston there is always something to do no matter what your interests. There are over 400 registered student organizations on campus, and if there is not an organization that matches your interests, the Office of Campus Activities can help you form an organization that does.

Within the 400+ student organizations, there are groups that focus on majors and professional development/networking, politics, volunteer opportunities, academic excellence and honors, socializing, religion, cultural activities, athletics, and many special interest groups.

In Greek Life, forty national sororities and fraternities have chapters affiliated with the university. There are four different Greek Councils – the Interfraternity Council, the Houston Collegiate Panhellenic Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council, and the Multicultural Greek Council. Each Greek organization is involved in a variety of campus and community service projects and sponsors numerous social activities throughout the year.  Membership in a fraternity or sorority is a great way to create a support network on campus and make friends for life.  Regardless of what kind of experience you are looking for at UH – living on campus, living off, living in a fraternity or sorority house, living at home – it is available in the UH Greek system.  

There are seven major fee funded groups within Campus Activities: Activities Funding Board (AFB), the Council of Ethnic Organizations (CEO), Frontier Fiesta Association, Student Homecoming Board, Metropolitan Volunteer Program (MVP), the Student Government Association, and the Student Video Network (SVN/Channel6). These organizations provide programming and leadership opportunities throughout the academic year.  They are responsible for hosting the University of Houston’s traditions and on-campus events including Homecoming, the International Festival, Black History Month, Revolution of Heroes, Diversity Week, Women of the World, Frontier Fiesta, as well as many, many smaller events.

The Campus Activities web site has a handy search engine under “Experience UH.” Contact information and a brief description of all the registered organizations are available. Campus Activities is located in the University Center Underground, 713-743-5180, or visit  In addition, many student organizations have carrel space or offices located in the department.


Student Programming

While all student organizations sponsor programs open to the campus community, the Student Program Board is specifically charged and financed to organize a variety of all-campus programs throughout the year.

Students may elect to join the Student Program Board and work on any number of events, such as:

  • fine arts programs
  • movies
  • concerts
  • speaker series
  • and a variety of special events.

For information on how to join, call the Student Program Board, 713-743-5210, or visit

Music, Art, and Theatre

There are 16 opportunities for music majors and nonmajors to participate in some aspect of musical performance. Included are:

  • the Moores Opera Center
  • Symphony Orchestra
  • Marching Band
  • Wind Ensemble
  • Concert Chorale
  • University Chorus
  • New Music Ensemble
  • Collegium Musicum
  • Jazz Ensemble
  • Chamber Music groups
  • Cougar Brass

The School of Theatre and Dance also sponsors several important productions each year; participation in all capacities is open to every student through audition. Art and architectural exhibits, student recitals, the Forensic Club, and films also contribute to the cultural development of the members of the college community.

Music performances are offered throughout the city, theatres abound, and exhibits are often presented in many small galleries. The Museum of Fine Arts and the Contemporary Arts Museum contribute to Houston's growing reputation as one of the dynamic art centers in the United States.

Religious Activities

The A.D. Bruce Religion Center is the focal point for religious activities on campus. The center maintains office facilities for 11 Charter groups that serve students through regular workshop services, discussion groups, religious retreats, Bible study sessions, and ecumenical programs. The chapels are also available for weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, and memorial services.

More information is available from:

113 A.D. Bruce Religion Center Office
University of Houston
Houston, Texas 77204-3050

Student Publications

The Daily Cougar is the official campus student newspaper; The Houstonian is the official yearbook. Both publications employ student staff regardless of major.

The Student Publications Committee exercises general supervision over The Daily Cougar, The Houstonian, the Student, Staff and Faculty Directory, and Transitions, the annual student magazine.

According to policy adopted by this committee, yearbooks will be held for one calendar year after the date of purchase.


Campus Recreation

The Department of Campus Recreation provides sports, fitness, recreation, and other wellness related activities on campus for students, alumni, faculty, and staff.

Participation in Campus Recreation activities provides an outlet for students, faculty, and staff to clear their mind, stay in shape, and recharge their spirit. The UH Department of Campus Recreation has many activities to choose from.

Intramural Sports provide an opportunity for students to participate in over 26 different competitive activities. Events for men, women, and co-ed competition are available.

Sport Clubs offer students the opportunity to compete in various sports activities at local, regional, and national levels. Limited funding is available to help cover equipment, uniform, and travel expenses.

Group Exercise classes include aerobics, yoga, cycling, dance, and much more. Personal training and fitness assessments are offered for a minimal fee.

Outdoor Adventure offers indoor climbing, equipment rental, group facilitation, and organized outdoor trips.

Personal training and physical assessments are available services.

Aquatics and Safety offer various learn-to-swim programs as well as First Aid/CPR certification. Lifeguard Training, SCUBA certification, and various trips are also offered.


The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC) is located on the corner of University Drive and Calhoun Street. This 264,000 square foot facility features:

  • up to five basketball courts, six volleyball courts, eight badminton courts, and an indoor multi activity court,
  • 24,000 square feet of fitness equipment,
  • a 52 foot high climbing wall,
  • six racquetball and two squash courts,
  • a 70 meter indoor competition pool with diving facilities, whirlpool, and dry sauna,
  • an outdoor leisure pool with Jacuzzi, slide, and sand volleyball court,
  • an outdoor equipment rental shop,
  • six multi-purpose rooms,
  • two class/meeting rooms,
  • a large and small conference room,
  • locker rooms with over 2,400 lockers available for rental,
  • over 500 day lockers available for free while in the facility,
  • a convenience food store and Smoothie King,
  • a combat/martial arts room,
  • a short term/drop off child care center, and
  • areas to socialize and lounge in the rotunda.

During the academic semesters the facility is open over 100 hours a week. Reduced hours are offered during semester breaks and university holidays.

For more information stop by the CRWC Welcome Desk on the first floor or call 713-743-PLAY.

To reach the department administrative offices stop by Room 2000 in the CRWC or call 713-743-9500.

Visit our Web site at for more detailed information on hours, programs, and services.

See also: UH Wellness (LAS) information.


Residential Life and Housing

On-Campus Living

The University of Houston offers a full range of housing options for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.

Campus housing is managed as an integral part of a student’s education experience. It is conveniently located and offers many amenities that complement a busy schedule. Room and Board Housing Agreements are available for the academic year, spring only, and summer time periods. Assignments are made based on availability of request, and placement is finalized based on date the completed agreement and initial payment is received.

The Quadrangle, Moody Towers, and Cougar Place facilities include utilities, air-conditioning, carpeting, and furnishings. Each is complete with Ethernet, cable, and a phone jack (students must provide their own computer, television, and phone instrument). Space is available for immediate occupancy.

Moody Towers and the Quadrangle primarily house undergraduates. Most accommodations are for double occupancy rooms. A limited number of accommodations are available for graduate and professional students. Meal plans are required, and a variety of plans are available.

The Cougar Place facility consists of four hundred (400) single rooms with adjoining baths. It is designated for graduate, professional, and a limited number of undergraduate students. Rooms with kitchenettes are available on a limited basis. Meal plans are optional for Cougar Place residents.

Calhoun Lofts - Opening fall 2009! This new uptown loft style facility is designed specifically for the graduate and professional student and will consist of nine hundred and eighty - four (984) spaces.  The room types include efficiencies, 1 bedroom, and 2 bedroom lofts. The Calhoun Lofts will offer many amenities including high ceilings, granite counters, full kitchens, and state -of - the - art - technology.  Look for upcoming information about this new opportunity for graduate and professional students.

The Cambridge Oaks Apartment complex is located at the southeast corner of campus and is a partnership between the university and Century Property. Cambridge Oaks Apartments offers a variety of apartment plans with the convenience of the campus community and access to the public transportation system. Furniture rental is available for the apartments, which are individually metered for utilities. Students living in Cambridge Oaks may participate in any of the campus meal plans.

Cullen Oaks, located on Cullen between Wheeler and Macgregor, is a partnership between the university and American Campus Communities. Cullen Oaks offers a variety of living plans that ensures each student has a private bedroom in a fully furnished apartment. A utilities package is included as part of the rent, while an additional package is available that includes Ethernet, phone, and cable. Computer rooms, TV lounges, and laundry facilities are located conveniently throughout the complex. The complex has parking and the university provides a shuttle service frequently throughout the day.

Bayou Oaks, located on Calhoun, is a partnership between the university and the American Campus Communities. The 486 bed facility is divided between the townhouse designed for the Greek fraternities and sororities, and the apartments much like Cullen Oaks.

Commuters may also elect to join any of the university's convenient meal plans. The plans eliminate the need to carry cash and offer the flexibility to eat anywhere on campus.

For more information about Residential Life & Housing, contact:

University of Houston
Residential Housing
4161 Wheeler, Rm. 105
Houston, TX 77004
Out of town calls (toll free):
FAX Number: 713-743-5998

Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. central standard time

Note: Admission acceptance does not guarantee housing, nor does receipt of a reservation or referral for space in housing guarantee admission to the university.


Student Health

Health Center

The Health Center provides treatment of illness and injury for students at a reasonable cost as well as providing health education.

Patients are seen on a walk-in basis; appointments are necessary for specialty clinics which include:

  • dermatology,
  • women's clinic,
  • men's clinic,
  • orthopedic, and
  • psychiatry.

The Health Center Pharmacy sells prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs at reduced rates. Referrals to medical specialists are available when necessary. Reasonable fees are assessed for lab tests, X-rays, specialty clinic visits, professional services, and surgical procedures.

The Health Center offers 24-hour Attendant Care Services for physically disabled students living on campus. The program is coordinated by an on-site registered nurse. Participating students reside at Cambridge Oaks.

Health awareness programs, first aid, and CPR classes are available through the Health Center. For further information on Health Center services or student health insurance, contact:

Health Center Information
Information 713-743-5151
Web Page Address
Attendant Care Services 713-748-8603


Men's Clinic, Dermatology, Orthopedic Clinic

Psychiatric Clinic 713-743-5149
Women's Clinic 713-743-5131

Fall and Spring Semesters
8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. M,T,Th,F
8:00 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Wednesday
Summer Semesters
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. M,T,Th,F
8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Wednesday


Student Health Insurance

Any university student enrolled in at least six semester hours is eligible to enroll in the student health insurance plan.

Enrollment is by the Fall and Spring semesters and can be requested when enrolling (registering) for classes. Students may also enroll on their fee bill in person at the Health Center, Entrance 6, off Wheeler Street.

Note: Insurance for Summer only for new Resident students must be mailed directly to Macori, Inc. Brochures (outlining coverage benefits) and enrollment applications may be picked up at the Health Center. Students are responsible for mailing the applications directly to the insurance company by the deadline.

Student Health Insurance is mandatory for non-immigrant international students and will be automatically charged on their fee bill each semester unless the student provides proof of alternate insurance in the form of a letter from the insurance company or employer, or a copy of their policy.

Proof of alternate insurance coverage must show the insured's name, dates of coverage, and at least $50,000 in acceptable medical benefits plus $7,500 for Repatriation and $10,000 in Medical Evacuation Benefits. Students must bring their valid insurance to the Health Center by the 20th class day of each Fall, Spring and 12th class day of Summer semesters to receive a waiver of the insurance fee.

U.S. Resident students who want to have insurance added or waived after fee payment must also contact the Health Center by the 20th class day of each Fall, Spring and the 12th class day of Summer semesters.

No waivers will be given after the 20th class day for each Fall and Spring, and the 12th class day of Summer semesters.

For further information or to request a Student Health Insurance Brochure, please call 713-743-5137.

Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinic

Diagnostic evaluations and treatment for various types of speech, language, and hearing problems are available to students and others in the Houston area.

Services are provided by graduate clinicians under the direct supervision of faculty and staff certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Discounted fees are offered to UH faculty, staff, students, and their dependents.

The clinic is located in the Clinical Research and Services Building, Cullen Boulevard, Entrance 8, and services may be scheduled by calling 713-743-2898.

College of Optometry Clinics

Vision care services are provided on a fee-for-service basis to the faculty, staff, and students of the entire University of Houston System and the general public. Special reduced fees are available to eligible faculty, staff and all full-time students.

Vision care services include:

  • primary vision care
  • contact lenses
  • vision therapy
  • diagnostic and therapeutic medical eye services
  • vision rehabilitation
  • and pediatric optometry, including visual assessment of infants.

An optical service is available to fill optical prescriptions.

Optometry students perform services under the direct supervision of faculty members.

The University Eye Institute is at 505 J. Davis Armistead Building, Entrance 2. The clinic provides services on an appointment basis.

For appointments and additional information, call 713-743-2020.

Psychological Research and Services Center

The UH-PRSC offers psychological services to University of Houston staff and students, as well as to the general public. The center is staffed by clinical psychology doctoral students and faculty from the Department of Psychology. The UH-PRSC is a training facility offering treatment for:

  • anxiety
  • panic
  • depression
  • personality disorders
  • sexual dysfunction
  • anger management
  • as well as adjustment problems related to sexual abuse, marital discord, divorce, and general life difficulties.

Individual, couple, family, and group treatment approaches are included with emphasis on evidence based psychotherapeutic procedures.

In addition to treatment, the UH-PRSC provides psychological assessment of intellectual, developmental, and personality functions. These services are available to adults, adolescents, and children. Fees for assessment as well as therapy services are based on a sliding scale, thus adjusted for by the client's ability to pay.

There are also several active research projects working out of the UH-PRSC, providing services to the community and working to extend the knowledge base in certain areas of clinical psychology. Among the areas currently studied by active UH-PRSC research teams are Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in children and adolescents, the effect of marital conflict on children, marital discord/domestic violence, depression, anxiety disorders, serious mental illness and community violence. Lastly, UH-PRSC offers Forensic Psychology Services for cases involving family, civil and criminal law.

The UH-PRSC is located in the Clinical Research Services (CRS) Building on Cullen Boulevard, entrance 8. To obtain more information regarding UH-PRSC research projects, please call 713-743-8600.

To make an appointment for clinic services please call 713-743-8609.

Information about Forensic Psychology Services please call 713-743-8615.

University Career Services

University Career Services (UCS) serves UH students and alumni at all stages of career development. Services include:

  • Career counseling
  • Vocational testing
  • Workshops
  • Student employment services
  • Internships
  • Career placement
  • And alumni career services.

Career counselors assist students who are undecided about an academic major, in formulating career goals, and/or in implementing a professional job search.

Complementing these services are state-of-the-art, Internet-based technologies to assist in:

  • Career guidance
  • Job market and employer research
  • Resume preparation
  • Interview practice
  • Scheduling of interviews
  • And access to job listings.

ResumeBank, a computerized resume database, effectively matches students' career interests with employers' hiring needs. It also allows employers to access and search the resume database online. JOBank provides automatic E-mail notification to students about job openings and enables students to apply for jobs online.

Available jobs include part-time and full-time, on-campus and off-campus, internship, and career-level positions. New job listings are received daily.

UCS coordinates more than 350 corporate recruitment visits to the campus each year, enabling students to interview with representatives from local, national, and multi-national firms. Starting salaries received by UH graduates through this service consistently exceed national salary averages in the majority of academic disciplines.

Internships provide UH students the opportunity to explore career fields and to learn through doing. Internships, available for all academic majors, allow students to gain career-related experience before graduation.

UCS conducts over 200 workshops each year. Topics include resume writing, interview skills, mock interviews, job search, career planning, and other career development topics. Workshop flyers are available at UCS and the full workshop schedule may be viewed on the UCS Web site (

These are some of the services available at UCS to help students advance their career planning and/or job search objectives. UH students are always welcome to visit University Career Services during walk in hours or to contact us by email or telephone to schedule an appointment with a career counselor.

Walk In Office Hours

Fall and Spring Semesters
9:00 am - 11:00 am & 2:00 pm - 6:30 pm, Monday and Tuesday
9:00 am - 11:00 am & 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Wednesday and Thursday

Summer Semester
9:00 am - 11:00 am & 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Monday through Thursday

University Career Services
University of Houston

106 Student Service Center I
Houston, Texas 77204-3040
Tel: 713/743-5100
Fax: 713/743-5111

Child Care Center

The University of Houston Child Care Center provides exemplary early childhood education, for the children of UH students, faculty, and staff by offering a model program tailored to ensure the quality of a child's daily experiences while building a foundation for future learning. The Center is state licensed and accredited through the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

The primary focus of the Center is for children to feel safe and secure in a learning environment that fosters respect for cultural diversity and utilizes an eclectic approach to education which allows for optimal growth and development of young children. A child's developmental tasks are to build trust, learn social skills, begin mastery of academic skills, and develop positive self-esteem. In order to best support these tasks, the program strives to provide developmentally appropriate activities, well-trained and consistent staff, and a safe and healthy learning environment.

The center is open Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Enrollment is limited to 153 children, ages 3 months to 5 years. Those interested in learning more about the Child Care Center may visit

Child Care Center

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a variety of services to students. Mental health professionals are available to all students, faculty, and staff seeking assistance. Psychology ethics and state law require that these services be confidential except under unusual, well-defined circumstances.

All currently enrolled students at the University of Houston are eligible for comprehensive services at CAPS, most of which are free. UH staff and faculty are eligible for up to 3 counseling sessions, crisis intervention, consultation and referrals. If you are interested in any of the counseling or assessment services, simply call CAPS at 713-743-5454 to arrange a free intake appointment. An intake appointment usually requires 90 minutes, including time to complete paperwork. Intakes are available throughout the week and can be scheduled at your convenience. The intake is an opportunity for you and a CAPS clinician to determine what kinds of services will best meet your needs. CAPS hours of operation are as follows:

Fall and Spring Semesters

Monday and Tuesday, 8:00 am - 7:00 pm


8:00 am - 5:00 pm


Summer Semesters


8:00 am - 5:00 pm

CAPS is located at 226 Student Service Center 1, you may also access more detailed information about our services on our website:

Learning and Assessment Services (LAS)

Learning and Assessment Services (LAS) is the hub for seven key university programs: Learning Support Services, Challenger Program, Urban Experience Program, Measurement and Evaluation Center, University Testing Services, UH Wellness, and Parent Education Program. Information of these programs follows below.

The mission of LAS is to foster a vibrant, stimulating, and supportive learning environment to promote the success of UH students, the university, and the greater Houston community. LAS identifies needs, provides assessment and evaluation services, promotes outreach activities, and facilitates student learning. LAS consists of seven units with a common goal: superior service to promote student learning.

Learning and Assessment Services
713-743-5434 (phone)
210 Student Service Center
Web site:


Learning Support Services

The mission of Learning Support Services (LSS) is to increase graduation rates by improving student academic performance and retention. LSS offers learning strategies counseling and workshops, tutoring, and resource materials to enhance academic performance.


LSS Services (Provided at no cost to UH students)

Walk-in and scheduled individual and group tutoring in a wide range of subjects. Students are encouraged to seek tutoring assistance as needed.

Learning styles and strategies assessment, education, and counseling:
LSS provides learning strategies seminars, individual assessment, learning strategies counseling, and, upon request, supplemental instructional groups.

Individualized educational plans (as indicated).

Seminars and Workshops on Learning Strategies and academic success.

Graduate Student Support:

LSS supports graduate and professional education with learning strategies counseling and workshops on such topics as the American Psychological Association writing style, scholarly writing, presentations, learning styles and time management.

Faculty Consultation:

  • In-class modules to improve students' learning strategies (e.g. test-taking strategies)
  • Tutoring for students who are having difficulty with course content
  • Learning strategies counseling to improve students' classroom performance (including developing an individualized learning support plan for a student)
  • Research assistance for students with this need
  • Training of Tutors, TA's, Teaching Staff
Additional Resources:

Computers, videos, and software may be used for practice and instruction in course work, test preparation, and learning strategies. The library of written materials includes reference books and handouts on learning techniques.


The LSS tutoring program is certified by the National Association of Developmental Educators. Tutors are certified by the International College Reading and Learning Association.


Learning Support Services
321 Social Work Building
Web site:


Challenger Program

The mission of the Challenger Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Education, is to provide support to students who either are first-generation college students, come from economically disadvantaged families, or have a physical disability.

The Challenger Program is designed to assist students in completing a post-secondary education at the University of Houston.


  • Tutoring: Tutors are available to assist students in a wide range of academic subjects. Students are encouraged to seek tutoring assistance as needed.
  • Counseling: Academic, career, and personal counseling is available on an individual or group basis.
  • Academic Instruction: A Reading, Writing, and Study Skills college credit course is available to provide academic support and to enhance basic learning skills.
  • Financial Aid Advising: Staff will help ensure that students' financial needs are met.
  • Financial Aid Assistance: Eligible participants may receive grant funding for their education.
  • Social support and cultural enrichment: Supportive programs such as campus social gatherings and opportunities to attend cultural events are available.

Requirements for Admission:

Interested applicants must:
  • be currently enrolled at UH,
  • be faced with academic or financial obstacles, or have a disability, or come from a home where neither parent has earned a college degree,
  • be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
  • be willing to attend a scheduled orientation prior to enrollment (registration),
  • have a sincere desire to complete a degree program at UH, and
  • apply to the Challenger Program.

Specific Benefits of the Challenger Program:

The Challenger Program offers an array of unique programs that are educationally and intellectually enriching. The program helps participants to develop a positive attitude toward academic and personal goals and to balance their lives as college students.

Certification: Tutors are certified by the International College Reading and Learning Association.


Challenger Program
319 Student Service Center


Urban Experience Program

The mission of the Urban Experience Program (UEP) is to provide support to students with exceptional life challenges.

UEP is designed to address the needs of the underrepresented student population and the changing dynamics of the American workforce. The program prepares students for the workforce by identifying ways for the students to combine educational opportunities with valuable internship experiences.

UEP promotes scholarships, community service, and personal and professional development. Mentorship and internship opportunities provide participants with an opportunity to improve their grades and earn a college degree.


  • internships,
  • community service,
  • tutoring,
  • mentoring,
  • cultural enrichment activities,
  • academic success workshops,
  • career development activities, and
  • personal development workshops.

Student Selection Criteria:

Participants are selected on the basis of their demonstrated or potential ability for campus leadership, community service, and academic achievement. The selection process includes consideration of the following: an application, an essay, an interview with both candidates and their parents or guardians, demonstrated financial need, and exceptional life challenges in pursuing higher education. Participants must be full-time, degree-seeking UH students who contractually agree to abide by the terms of the program and participate in all evaluation activities.


Urban Experience Program
250G Oberholtzer Hall


Measurement and Evaluation Center

The mission of the Measurement and Evaluation Center (MEC) is to promote excellence through evaluative services. Services include administration of university faculty/course evaluations, design of research and survey methodologies, instrumentation, data analysis, program evaluation, exam scoring, and consultation for outcome assessment. The center also forges public-private partnerships with Houston business and non-profit organizations.


  • Provide consultation for program evaluation
  • Evaluate customer satisfaction
  • Support needs assessment endeavors
  • Assist in data collection and analysis
  • Provide state of the art scanning services
  • Research suppport, consultation for data collection, focus groups, interviews, and assistance in survey design and research
  • Faculty support through course evaluation, exam scoring, and consultation
  • Improved programming through outcome assessment, data analysis, and evaluation of goals and objectives

Faculty/Course Evaluation

MEC offers consultation and design of evaluation questionnaires. At the conclusion of each semester, MEC processes all course evaluations, generates individual faculty reports, and provides various statistical reports for colleges or departments.

Exam Scoring

MEC scores most of the university-scheduled course examinations. The center can generate reports such as student score reports and item analyses according to the instructor's specifications. Exams received by 2 p.m. are available for pick-up after 9 a.m. the following business day.

Electronic Gradebook

The electronic gradebook is helpful to professors who teach large classes. MEC merges test and quiz grades on the class roster and provides the gradebook to professors. Following each exam, professors receive an updated gradebook file and a list of non-matched students to aid in file clean-up.

Focus Groups

MEC provides trained focus group leaders for the university community and external entities. Staff assist in developing the script and compile a report summarizing the findings.

Program Evaluation

MEC offers assessment and evaluation services to assist organizations in evaluating their goals, objectives, and performance outcomes.

Survey Research

MEC offers consultation with design and administration of survey research projects. MEC can assist with the development of customized scannable forms for all types of projects, as well as the administration of large-scale, university-wide and community surveys.

Accomplishments in Search of Excellence

Forms Scanned

MEC performs a large volume of scanning for various constituencies on and off campus. This includes scanning for academic, research, and administrative purposes, as well as for other university/community support, averaging 41,000 documents per month.

Major Projects

MEC has coordinated the administration of a number of major surveys and focus group projects for the University of Houston and greater Houston communities.


Measurement and Evaluation Center
206 Student Service Center
Web site:


University Testing Services

The mission of University Testing Services (UTS) is to provide comprehensive testing and assessment services through administration of institutional, diagnostic, psychological, academic, and professional licensure examinations..

UTS offers institutional tests for prospective and enrolled students, including the Institutional SAT, Institutional TOEFL, Miller Analogies Test (MAT), SPEAK test, and the TExES Qualifier examination.


  • Admission and placement exams: to asses student level of mastery and placement in appropriate courses. Placement tests do not allow the student to receive credit unless otherwise specified. Tests offered include English, foreign language, math, and music placement tests.
  • Computer-based testing: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), College Level Entrance Program (CLEP), Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and PRAXIS Series tests. Students may register on the Web or by telephone for all of these tests. Several language placement tests are offered on a daily basis.
  • Credit by exam program: UTS offers Credit by Examination options enabling students to receive credit for prior learning. Credit is offered for Advanced Placement (AP) (offered only in High School), International Baccalaureate Program (IB), College Level Entrance Program (CLEP), Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES), departmental credit, and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT II).
  • Correspondence/distance education testing: Students attending other universities or institutions may have their examinations administered at UH. The tests may be in the traditional paper and pencil format or delivered on the web. Distance education tests may be faxed, E-mailed, or mailed to UTS.
  • Course testing support: UTS administers makeup exams, exams requiring special accommodation, and special program tests such as certifications.
  • Administration of professional certification and licensing exams.
  • Vocational, educational, and psychological batteries: These instruments help students identify their learning styles, vocational interests, and academic strengths and weaknesses. These assessments may also assist students in developing their academic, career, and personal goals.
  • Test development and validation.
  • Scholarly review of tests and materials.
  • Consultation services for the following: credit by exam selection, placement test validation, consultation related to standardized testing, vocational, psychological, and educational batteries including testing to identify one's learning style.


University Testing Services
200 Student Service Center
Web site:


UH Wellness

The mission of UH Wellness, a campus-wide education and prevention program, is to promote healthy choices and a healthier, safer learning environment.


Provide quality outreach programs, education, and support including:

  • Certified Peer Education Program: specially educated UH students promote health and wellness among their peers on campus.
  • A clearing house of information on health and wellness.
  • Academic coursework: Social Health and Wellness course (three semester credit hours).
  • Health and wellness workshops and psycho-educational support.
  • Major campus programming and national wellness campaigns and events.
  • Information and consultation to students, faculty , and staff.
  • Electronic newsletters and Web based wellness services.
  • The Houston-Galveston Consortium for Health and Wellness Promotion.

UH Wellness offers outreach and educational programs for the campus and community. It also provides referral information and resources on a wide range of health topics including stress management , alcohol, drugs, and sexual health. The department cosponsors large-scale prevention campaigns including Alcohol Awareness Month, the Texans' War on Drugs, Red Ribbon Week, Safer Sex Awareness Week, Eating Disorders Awareness Day, the Great American Smokeout, and the Safe Spring Break Campaign. The department also involves student peer educators in the development and implementation of service learning projects.

The Peer Education Program offers students the opportunity to provide prevention and wellness education activities and workshops to their peers. Peer educators are trained in a three-credit hour course led by the UH Wellness program director. They may test to become certified peer educators upon course completion.



The peer educators are certified through the National Bacchus and Gamma Peer Educator Program.


   UH Wellness
Campus Recreation and Wellness Center and University Center
Suite 1038, Wellness Center
Room 35, University Center
Web site:


See also: Campus Recreation and Wellness Center information.


Parent Education Project

The mission of the Parent Education Project (PEP) is to enhance the lives of at-risk children and families in the Greater Houston area.

PEP has been a successful grant-funded project of the University of Houston for over 30 years. It provides three programs: (1) Families CAN, (2) Relatives As Parents Program, and (3) Family Based Alternatives Project.


Families CAN Program

Families CAN is a parent-to-parent service for families of children (up to 18 years) who have physical/medical disabilities and/or chronic illness and who meet the Texas Department of Health's definition of children with special health care needs. Families CAN provides casework services for more than 275 children and their families each year. Others are helped with information about available resources.

Caseworkers are themselves parents or family members of a child with special health care needs and understand the families' struggles. Parents are educated, supported, and empowered regarding the process of obtaining resources for their child.

The program also offers a support group, resource information, a quarterly newsletter, a transition workgroup, and information about resources and enrichment activities for the children served by the program. Referrals to Families CAN may be made by the child's family, school, or any service provider.

Funded by: Texas Department of Health/Children with Special Health Care Division.

Relatives as Parents Program (R.A.P. Program)

Today, the number of grandparents and relatives raising their kin-children is exploding. This program provides information, referral, and support services for grandparents and relatives raising children. RAPP runs three support groups for relative parents: (1) Houston's Third Ward area, (2) Clear Lake and nearby areas, and (3) Spring/Kingwood area. The program serves approximately 200 children per year.

Funded by: a grant from the Brookdale Foundations, with in-kind support form UH-LAS.

Family-based Alternatives/Every Child Project

This project is a part of a statewide effort to create new opportunities for children with disabilities now living in institutional settings in Texas. The contract between EveryChild, Inc. and the University of Houston assists in developing a system of family-based alternatives for children and families in the southeast Texas area. Research confirms (1) that children with developmental disabilities do best in a home-based setting as long as the family is adequately supported with resources and (2) that enduring relationships are vital to healthy development. Financial resources are becoming more available for families. This project joins parents and certified community-based agencies to facilitate children's return to their own family or to a qualified Support Family that shares in their upbringing, on either a full- or part-time basis. The Family-based Alternatives Project offers a new choice for families and a new life for children.

Funded by: a contract with EveryChild, Inc., Austin, from their contract with Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Internships and Student Placements:

The UH-PEP accepts a limited number of student placements in its programs. Its first commitment is to students of the University of Houston. Supervision is provided by the Project Director, Angie Grindon, LCSW, LPC.

Parent Education Project
301 Student Service Center
Web site:

International Student and Scholar Services

The International Student and Scholar Services Office provides counseling and advising for international students and scholars on issues related to government regulations and/or differences in customs and cultures. The office meets the university's responsibility for compliance with U. S. Department of Homeland Security, and U.S. Department of State regulations. The office verifies and completes letters, certificates, government documents, and forms for students who need to continue their stay at the university. All nonimmigrant visa students may apply to the International Student and Scholar Services Office for financial assistance through Texas Public Education Grant awards and scholarship programs. Each semester, the office staff plans and implements check-in services and a special orientation program. The office also provides opportunities for international students and scholars to establish a meaningful relationship with an American family, called an international friendship family.

For further information about International Student and Scholar Services, call 713-743-5065. The Web site is

Veterans' Services Office (VSO)

The Veterans' Services Office (VSO) is an ADA compliant facility which serves veterans, their spouses, and dependents. It works with the University Registrar's Office and the Veterans' Administration to help students initiate and resolve problems with veterans' benefits. Counseling and advising on V.A. benefits Chapter 30, 31, 35, 1606/07 and Hinson-Hazelwood Act are available. The office assists in initiating referrals for tutorial services payable under the G.I. bill and has information on V.A. work-study and state veteran's benefits. It also serves as a referral agent for the Center for Students with DisABILITIES (CSD), Learning and Assessment Services (LAS), UH Career Services, and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). VSO also provides programs and activities throughout the year for this special population. These are just a few of our annual programs:

  • Entrepreneurship and the 21st Century
  • Veterans Speak Up!
  • Veterans, Troops and Family Support Group
  • Veterans Oral History Project (VOHP)
  • Veterans Awareness and Honors Ceremony
  • Veterans Collegiate Society (VCS)

For more information call 713-743-5490, or go to the office in the University Center, room 268.

Center for Students with DisABILITIES

The Center for Students with DisABILITIES (CSD) provides a wide range of accommodations and support services to University of Houston students who have any type of temporary or permanent health impairments, physical limitations, psychiatric disorders, learning disabilities, or sensory impairments.

CSD helps to ensure that qualified students who have disabilities are provided equal educational opportunites at UH. CSD staff serve as liasions between students and faculty, administrators, and community agencies. Advocacy services are also provided.

Upon receipt of required documentation from appropriate health care provider(s), CSD staff recommend the most appropriate academic accommodations for students. Some of the individualized accommodations and services provided to students may include, but not be limited to:

  • priority registration
  • determining individual accommodation needs and ensuring that accommodations are made available
  • two testing centers with soundproof booths
  • testing accommodations
  • assistive technology, including voice input/output software
  • alternate textbook coordination
  • sign language interpreters
  • captioning services
  • Sorensen Video Relay System
  • two student computer labs with assistive technology
  • note-taking accommodations
  • resource referral and/or coordination
  • disability-related counseling
  • environmental accessibility assistance
  • advocacy assistance

The University of Houston strives to maintain an accessible campus for students who have disabilities. Accessible parking, curb cuts, ramps, automatic doors, Braille signs, and low elevator buttons are just a few examples of campus accessibility features.

The M.D. Anderson Library currently has three computers in the Academic Research Center equipped with assistive technology, including a Kurzweil reading machine and a text magnifier.

Several residence halls and apartment complexes have accessible rooms. Attendant Care Services can be arranged through the Student Health Center.

For more information, please call or write:

University of Houston
Justin Dart Jr. Center for
Students with DisABILITIES
CSD Building, Rm. 100
Houston, TX 77204-3022

Phone: 713-743-5400
TTY: 713-749-1527
Fax: 713-743-5396

Safety and Security


University Public Safety Department

The University of Houston Department of Public Safety is a multiservice organization whose mission is to ensure the safety and security of persons and property on the campus.

The department's officers are commissioned by the Board of Regents and licensed as peace officers through the State of Texas after receiving state-certified training in the duties and responsibilities of a Texas peace officer.

In addition to traditional police services, the department offers crime prevention workshops, on-campus escorts, and assistance with starting disabled vehicles. The philosophical focus of the department is the belief that only through police-community teamwork can the campus remain safe and secure for everyone. Emergency/Information call boxes and telephones are located throughout the university to provide citizens with direct immediate access to the services of their police officers.

The University Department of Public Safety Building is located at 3869 Wheeler at Scott Street.

For emergencies call 911
or 713-743-3333.

For all nonemergency purposes call 713-743-0600. Additional information can be located on the World Wide Web


Requests for Police Services During Special Events

Individuals or organizations desiring to host on-campus special events that require police services must utilize University of Houston police officers.

For additional information, call University Center Reservations at 713-743-5287 or the police special events area at 713-743-0625.

Under unique circumstances and with the permission of the chief of police, visiting dignitaries will be allowed to have special police present.


Fire and Physical Safety


Fire Marshal's Office, a division of the Department of Public Safety, supports prevention, planning and response.  Everyone on campus has a responsibility to prevent fires and injuries, to plan for emergencies, and to respond according to the emergency plan. 

Specific responsibilities include:

  1. Using UL or F.M. labeled appliances and power strips with built-in fuses or circuit breakers.
  2. Contacting Fire Marshal's Office regarding the use of items with open flames.
  3. Reporting blocked exit paths, improper storage, smoking in buildings, and physical safety hazards.
  4. Becoming familiar with at least two exits other than elevators in buildings that one frequents.
  5. Knowing the location and operation of the fire alarm system.
  6. Evacuating a building when the alarm is sounding or when advised to do so.
  7. Calling 911 for fire, medical and police emergencies.

Additional information may be obtained at the University Police Building or by calling



Catalog Publish Date: August 19, 2010
This Page Last Updated: December 3, 2010
Effective Date of Archive: January 13, 2011