As a Tier One Scholar, you will have opportunities to pursue an academic experience abroad. You will receive a $2,000 stipend to help support a qualifying study abroad experience. You may choose from a variety of programs such as Faculty-Led Study Abroad hosted by departments and colleges. Or you can choose from available study abroad programs through the Office of International Studies and Programs (OISP or “Study Abroad Office”). A Tier One Study Abroad Advisor will guide and help you find the program that is right for you, your interests, and your timeline.
Options to study abroad are plentiful through UH partnerships with universities and providers in Central and Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Australia. You will be able to explore the world and immerse yourself in another culture. Resources and programs offered by the Study Abroad Office include:
- Study abroad programs: Faculty-led Programs, Exchange Programs, Affiliated Programs and Special Programs
- UH academic credits: earn credits towards major, minor, electives and language requirements
- Immersion programs: quickly learn a foreign language and local culture. View Spanish Immersion Programs.
- Duration of programs: Spring, Fall and Summer semesters, Winter semesters, and year-long programs
- Study Abroad Fairs: Spring and Fall
- Tier One Study Abroad Showcase & Info Sessions: Fall
- Resources: advising, resource center, scholarship sessions, presentations
Tier One Scholars are encouraged to apply for nationally competitive scholarships to study or research abroad. For scholars wanting to gain practical experience, internships abroad are also available. You can visit the AISEC website to learn more about paid internships.