The University of Houston’s Board of Visitors (BOV) is a leadership group of private sector opinion leaders and University advocates that serves to advance the University of Houston and improve the University’s image in Houston and throughout the region. BOV members represent a broad array of expertise, interests and connections and serve as ambassadors and strategic partners for the University.
The BOV Third Ward Schools Task Force is a committee of the BOV comprised of BOV members and other representatives from the UH family with an interest in education. The goal of the Task Force is to promote the Third Ward Initiative and the UH College of Education in their goal to collaborate with HISD leadership and the community to improve the academic performance and rankings of six Third Ward schools in the Yates attendance zone: Blackshear, Foster, Hartsfield and Thompson Elementary Schools; Cullen Middle School; and Yates Senior High School.
The Board of Visitors launched the Third Ward Schools Task Force in 2016 to support this important Presidential Initiative.
Jack Moore (left) and Wayne Luckett (right) award a check to Alicia Lewis, Principal of Blackshear Elementary school.
Board of Vistors Third Ward Schools Task Force Chair
- Wayne Luckett ('74), President & CEO, Branwar Wine Distributing Co.
Board of Vistors Third Ward Schools Task Force Members
- Anna M. Babin, President and CEO, United Way of Greater Houston
- Jeffery O. Beauchamp, (’69, M.S.M.E. ’73), Entrepreneur and Private Investor
- Brent Chinn (FS ’82), Executive Member At-Large, University of Houston Alumni Association Foundation
- Cheryl D. Creuzot, CFP® (’81, J.D. ’92, L.L.M. ’99, M.B.A. ’12), President and CEO, Wealth Development Strategies
- Reverend William A. Lawson (Honorary Doctorate ’93), Pastor Emeritus, Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church
- Michael C. Linn, President and CEO, MCL Ventures, LLC
- Judy Nyquist, Community Volunteer and Arts Patron
- Lillie Robertson, Philanthropist
- Laurie Rutherford (’86, M.B.A. ’91, M.S. ’04), Treasurer, University of Houston Alumni Association Foundation
- Lisa Trapani Shumate, Associate Vice President & General Manager, Houston Public Media
- Dheeraj Verma, Managing Director, Quantum Energy Partners
- Earl Cummings (’91)
Task Force Advisors
- Judy Cook
- Michele Verma
- Elwyn Lee, Vice President, Neighborhood & Strategic Initiatives
- Robert McPherson (Ph.D. ’87), Dean, College of Education and Elizabeth D. Rockwell Endowed Chair
- Jonathan Schwartz, College of Education, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Clinical Professor
- Anne McClellan (M.Ed. ’86, Ed.D. ’94), College of Education, Executive Director for Growth and Innovation and Research Professor