The Graduate College of Social Work at the University of Houston has been running a professional training grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) since 2012.
Dr. McClain Sampson is the Project Director of the 2017-2021 GLOBE Team Training program. This is an interprofessional team training program that enrolls MSW and Counseling Psychology students. GLOBE Team Training strives to increase the number of culturally competent social workers who deliver behavioral health services to underserved populations. Those who are selected as GLOBE Fellows will be required to do Field 3 & 4 at placements that deliver mental health and other services AND are required to attend 4 workshops a year. The grant provides students with a $10,000 dollar stipend during the student’s final year of field (Field 3 & Field 4).
Program BenefitsAwarded by HRSA, Health Resource Service Administration of the Dept. of Health and Human Services, the goal of the GLOBE fellowships are to increase the number of bilingual, culturally competent clinical behavioral health workers in Harris County. The Benefits of the program
- You Must Be Entering Field 3.
- You must declare as “clinical” and have
stronginterest in delivering clinical services in mental health and/ or substance abuse.
- You must complete Field 3 and Field 4 by August 2019.
- Have a 3.0 undergraduate GPA and maintenance of a 3.5 graduate GPA.
- Commit to
workwith culturally and linguistically diverse populations in a mental or behavioral health capacity, in Harris County, for two years post-graduation.
- Bilingual is Preferred but NOT required.
- Permanent resident or U.S. Citizen.
How to Apply
The application cycle opens each year on the day of the Field Agency Marketplace.
The process consists of filling out the program application and writing an essay on the importance of cultural competency in delivering mental health services. If selected for the second phase of the application, the student will be interviewed by a panel that will make a decision on the final selection.
There are two different ways to get an application:
- You can email Rachel Fulkerson (Program Manager) at email@example.com to be sent an application with instructions on how to apply (recommended action).
- You can pick up an application at the front desk of GCSW and can return the completed application to the receptionist (Attention: GLOBE or Rachel Fulkerson).
- The application has instructions on how to deliver the completed application to the correct people.
Dr. McClain Sampson
Room: 403 Social Work Building