- Composites of Carbon Nanotubes with Polyethylene oxide (PEO) to:
- Increase Mechanical Strength
- Provide Multifunctionality
- A lithium based surfactant to aid in the dispersion:
- Lithium is a known intercalant of Nanotubes (previously shown in liquid ammonia to react with the tubes)
- We use aqueous route by the use of surfactant and the interactions being non-covalent.
- Can form Crown – Ethers with the EO making it a very unique chemical species.
- Nanocomposites with Percolation of SWNTs @ ~ 5 x 10-4 volume fraction
- Significant decrease in the Crystallinity (from 60 % in original to < 20 % in NC with 0.001 SWNT) and Melting Temperature (from 65 oC to 30 oC) at 1Li:1000 PEO units.
- Mechanical Properties: Young’s Modulus ~ 2.5 x larger than PEO at 0.001 SWNT.
Battery manufacturers, biotechnology.