The arylation of electron-rich and electron-poor heterocycles as well as polyflourinated aromatic compounds can be performed by using the combination of aryl halide, substrate, and a copper salt.
- Previous methods based on C-H activation use rhodium or palladium catalysts.
- Price differences between palladium or rhodium and copper: between 100- and 1000-fold
- Generality: previous methods are successful only for a limited number of heterocycles; this method successful for a variety of substrates.
- Use of C-H activation methodologies shortens synthetic pathways.
- Savings in economy and ecology.
- Minimizes use of solvents and can avoid some toxic reagents – regulatory issues solved.
- Easier to separate copper than palladium from final product (drug purity issues solved).
Chemical reagent manufacturers, oil and gas, emission control equipment manufacturers.