Become an Official
If you are interested in becoming an Intramural Sports official, please review the information below and follow the link to the online Campus Recreation Student Employee application.
An Intramural Sports official shall, to the best of his/her ability, officiate and/or keep accurate records of contests sponsored by University of Houston Campus Recreation, in accordance with the rules of the sport and the regulations of the Department. The official is charged with the responsibility of maintaining orderly conduct on the court or field to which he/she is assigned, and will perform other duties as outlined in the Duties and Responsibilities section below.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend all clinics and meetings
- Fulfill schedule obligations.
- Submit to periodic evaluations, both written and verbal.
- Be attentive at all times – do not allow friends to visit or distract you while at work.
- Arrive at work by the time designated by the schedule. You are paid for this time and it is not considered "early".
- Obtain necessary equipment and score sheets when reporting to work and checking in with the supervisor.
- Locate team captains, sign in players, check eligibility of team members 15 minutes prior to the start of the contest.
- Enforce and document (in accordance with the rules of the sport and the regulations of the Department) any unsportsmanlike conduct by players, coaches, or spectators.
- Ensure that game equipment functions properly and that games are played under safe conditions. Report the need for facility or equipment repairs to the supervisor on duty.
- Report sportsmanship grades and comments of teams on score sheets and to supervisors after all games.
- Immediately direct any Requests for Protest to the supervisor on duty.
- Report any misuse of the facility or equipment, or any discipline problems from participants or spectators, to the sports supervisor immediately.
- Report for reassignment in the event of forfeited games.
- Frequently review the material in sport rulebooks.
- Contact the supervisor in the event of an accident/injury. Remain with the injured party until relieved. Assist with an injury report form (as necessary).
- Strive to maintain positive public relations; answer question sfrom participants or direct them to a supervisor.
- Display positive sportsmanship while participating.
If you are interested, print the job application here, fill it out, and bring it to the Intramural Sports office today. For more information, please contact the Intramural Sports office at (713) 743-8041
Sports Officials Training Clinics
General Officiating Interest Meeting
This meeting will present officiating employment opportunities, answer questions about officiating, and cover basics of employment. Please attend one of the meetings below:
||3:00pm – 5:00pm
||CRWC Rotunda Meeting Room
MUST BE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED BY INTRAMURAL SPORTS TO OFFICIATE THE FOLLOWING:
- Floor Hockey
- 4 on 4 Flag Football