Making Texas universities' course syllabi and faculty curricula vitae readily available to the public is one of the main purposes behind House Bill 2504. The University of Houston wants to insure that access to the online-publication process is as easy as possible for everyone concerned.
Toward that end we have provided here answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about accessing and uploading our course syllabi and instructor CVs. For detailed instructions, please also see the information for Students and Faculty/Course Schedule Coordinators provided elsewhere in these pages.
Still have questions which aren't answered here? Please feel free to contact us using the HB-2504 email link above to the right.
- How and where do I search for my course syllabus?
- A course syllabus conveys requirements for and other essential information about a specific course and section. You may use the UH Syllabus and Curriculum Vitae Online search tool to locate and download the specific syllabus for each of the courses you are enrolled in or interested in. A link to the search tool is provided on the HB-2504 Information for Students page as well as in the Related Links at the right.
- Where can I find more information about my instructor's credentials?
- A curriculum vitae is an academic résumé. You may search for your instructors' curricula vitae (or CVs) via the UH Syllabus and Curriculum Vitae Online search tool. A link to the search tool is provided on the HB-2504 Information for Students page as well as in the Related Links at the right.
- What information will I need to do the searches?
- The searches will require the basic information you should already know. You may click the search icon (magnifying glass) on the search tool page for more detailed prompts and/or complete search field information.
To search for any instructor's CV, you will need to know, at minimum, the first letter of the instructor's last name. If you are enrolled in a specific course, you may also find the CV of the instructor teaching your section by doing a search for your course.
For courses, you should know the semester of attendance (or Term); the Subject Area; the Catalog Number; and the Class Number. Click the search icon to find and select specific or more detailed information for your course.
- I understand that CV and Syllabus information is to be retained for 2 years – how could I access an older version of a document?
- It will be available through the search tool. You can search by semester ("Term") through the syllabi information. As far as instructors' CVs, the search tool will always display the latest CV on record.
Please note, as the online search tool was inaugurated Fall 2010, documents earlier than Fall 2010 are not available in the database. Please contact the relevant college for information.
- I can't upload files to the Faculty Center.
- If your browser’s pop-up blocker is on, you won’t be able to upload files. Click the name of your browser for instructions on disabling its pop-up blocker:
- Is my browser capable of uploading my CV and Syllabi to the Faculty Center?
- If you've already disabled your pop-up blocker (see above) and you still cannot upload documents to the Faculty Center, please check to see if your browser is on the myUH (PeopleSoft) supported web browser list.
- Can I scan and upload my previously-existing CV and Syllabi to the Faculty Center?
- No. Instructors of Record must download the UH template (a Microsoft Word document), fill in the information needed within the template, make sure to save their files where they can find them for future use, and then upload those documents to the Faculty Center. The templates are available from either the Faculty Center or the HB-2504 Information for Instructors of Record page.
- Do I need to use the provided template, or is it optional?
- The template is not optional. Instructors of Record must use the UH template to create their CVs and Syllabi for upload to the Faculty Center. The templates are available from either the Faculty Center or the HB-2504 Information for Instructors of Record page.
- How can I correct or update my CV and Syllabi after I’ve uploaded them?
- Make any needed changes to the Microsoft Word documents you created using the UH template (see above), then simply upload them again. The newly uploaded files will overwrite the previously uploaded ones.
- Will I have to upload my CV and Syllabi every term?
- Yes - unless the material does not change. While CVs might not change every semester, Syllabi are almost guaranteed to, particularly where they need to contain dates, times, room assignments, or other current course information.