Director, Institutional Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPE)
Clinical Associate Professor
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health Building 2, Room 3028
College of Pharmacy
Houston, TX 77204-5000
Doctor of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas
B.S. in Genetics and Biochemistry, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Objective Structured Clinical Exams
- Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences
- Educational Research
- Outstanding Chapter Advisor Award, National Kappa Epsilon Professional Pharmacy Fraternity, 2013
- Service Excellence Award, 2013
- Rho Chi Society Faculty Appreciation Award (co-recipient), 2006
- Teaching Excellence Award, 2005-2006
- Teaching Excellence Certificate of Recognition, 2004-2005
- APhA-ASP Professionalism Award, 1996
- College of Pharmacy Dean’s List with Highest Honors, Fall 1993
- Kappa Epsilon Member of the Month, October 1993
- Texas A&M University Dean's List, Fall 1990 and Spring 1990, 1991
Coyle EA, Jenkins TL, Hatfield CL. Utilizing the PCOA as a High Stakes Exam in Assessing Pre-APPE Readiness: The University of Houston College of Pharmacy Experience. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (submitted)
Tolleson SR, Ismail NJ, Gill AC, Dello Stritto RA, Hatfield MD, Teal CR, Nelson EA, Hatfield CL. Changes in Pharmacy Students After Experiencing Interprofessional Education Activities, Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education, 2016;6(1):1-18.
Hatfield CL, Coyle EA. Factors that influence student completion of course and faculty evaluations. Am J Pharm Educ. 2013 Mar 12;77(2):27. doi: 10.5688/ajpe77227.
C.L. Hatfield, “Evaluating Long-Term Care Facilities,” Texas Pharmacy Journal, Vol. 126, No. 4, Fall 2006.
Hatfield CL, Overview of Pregnancy and Ovulation Home Tests, Texas Pharmacy Journal, Spring 2004.
Pope ND, Hatfield CL. Male Pattern Baldness, Texas Pharmacy Journal, Spring 2003.
Hatfield CL, Treatment Options for Nocturnal Enuresis, Texas Pharmacy Journal, Summer 2002.
Carter BL, Brunson BJ, Hatfield CL, Valuck RJ. Description of an introductory course designed to socialize pharmacy students. American Journal of Pharmacy Education 2000;64:166-173.
Hatfield CL. University Hospital Consortium Therapeutic Class Review - Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists. Novation Drug Monographs 1999.
Hatfield CL, May SK, Markoff JS. Quality of consumer drug information provided by four Web sites. American Journal of Health-Systems Pharmacy 1999;56:2308-11.
Lam YMF, Banerji S, Hatfield C, Talbert RL. Principles of drug administration in renal insufficiency. Clinical Pharmacokinetics, 1997;32:30-57
Hatfield CL, Knodel LC, Talbert RL. Olestra: an ideal substitute for dietary fat? Toxic Substance Mechanisms, 1997;16:209-211
Talbert RL, Hatfield CL. Olestra: fatuous fad or fat phenomenon? Fat Facts 1996;4(4):13
Busch CL, Knodel LC. Drug-induced photosensitivity. Toxic Substance Mechanisms 1996;15:63-66
Hatfield CL. (2014) Basics of Journal Club. In Aparasu RR, Bentley JP, Principles of Research Design and Drug Literature Evaluation (pp. 336-345). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning, LLC.
Hatfield, CL. TeamSTEPPS: Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety, 4th Annual Texas Primary Care and Health Home Summit, JW Marriot, Houston, Texas, June 9, 2016. (3 hour CME presentation / workshop)
Ismail NJ, Hatfield CL, Novak K. Interprofessional Education (IPE), Educator Development Grand Rounds, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, December 10, 2015. (2 hour grand rounds presentation / workshop)
Gill AC, Nelson EA, Hatfield CL, DelloStritto RA, Landrum P, Teal CR. Interprofessional Patient Safety Education in the PreClinical Curriculum. American Association of Medical Colleges(AAMC) MedEd Meeting, Baltimore, MD, November 11, 2015 (15 minute oral presentation).
Coyle TA, Jenkins TL, Hatfield CL. Raising the Bar: Utilizing the PCOA as a High Stakes Exam. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Washington DC, July 2015 (Mini Session).
Hatfield CL. Required P4 Shared Error IPE with Medical and Nursing Students. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), Washington DC, July 2015 (Round Table Discussion).
Ismail NJ, Hatfield CL, Teal CR, Nelson EA. The End as a Means: An Approach to Multidisciplinary Debriefing after and IPE Simulation. Annual BCM Educational Innovations Day, May 12, 2015 (Oral Presentation).
Hatfield CL. Getting Interprofessional Education off the Ground. Texas A&M Health Science Center, College Station, TX, May 7, 2015 (Invited Guest Presentation at Faculty Meeting).
Ismail NJ, Graham L, West C, Nelson EA, Hatfield CL. An Approach to Multidisciplinary Debriefing in the Setting of IPE Simulation. Spring Educational Symposium (BCM/UTMB/UT Houston), Marriot Houston Hobby Airport, Houston, TX, May 1, 2015 (Small Group Discussion).
Hatfield CL, Ismail NJ, DelloStritto RA, Ordonez ND, Teal CR, Nelson EA. Maximizing the Debriefing Session in Interprofessional Education. AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA), April 25, 2015 (Oral Presentation).
Misra M, Teal CR, Nelson EA, Hatfield CL, Major A, Gill A. Medical and Pharmacy Student Perceptions of an Interprofessional Clinical Home Visit Experience. AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA), April 25, 2015 (Oral Presentation).
Ismail NJ, Graham L, West C, Nelson EA, Hatfield CL. Multidisciplinary Debriefing: A Critical Element of Successful IPE Experiences. AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA), April 26, 2015 (Workshop).
Philip AS, Hatfield CL, Wallace DA. Knowledge regarding issues in women’s health in a professional pharmacy program. Gulf Coast Women’s Health Research Forum, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas, Sept. 20, 2011. (**Best Poster Award in Applied/Social Science research category**)
Hatfield CL, Langley PC, May SM. Process of Curriculum Development Incorporating Abilities-Based Education and Vertical Integration, Presented at American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Snowmass, Colo., July 21, 1998.
- Kappa Epsilon, Zada Cooper Scholarship Review Committee, 2013-2015
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, 1998 – 2003, 2006 – present
- Faculty Affairs Committee, 2009
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 1996 - present
- Gulf Coast Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 2000 - 2007
- Houston Area Pharmacy Association, 2000 – 2008
- Board Member, 2000 – 2002
- Texas Pharmacy Association, 1992-1996, 2000 - 2008
- American Association for Higher Education, 2001 - 2003
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 1993 - 2007
- Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 1993 - 1997, 2000 - 2008
- Harris County Pharmacy Association, 2000 – 2006
- Board Member, 2000 – 2002
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy, 1999 - 2000
- Colorado Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 1997 - 2000
- American Pharmacists Association, 1992-1996
- Phi Lambda Sigma (Pharmacy Leadership Society), 1993-1996
- Longhorn Pharmaceutical Association (APhA/ASP), 1992-1995
- President-Elect, Longhorn Pharmaceutical Association, 1993-1993
- President, Longhorn Pharmaceutical Association (APhA/ASP), 1993-1994
- University of Texas Student Society of Hospital Pharmacists, 1993-1995
- Pharmacy Council, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, 1993-1994
- Kappa Epsilon, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, 1992-1994
- Student Liaison, Council on Bylaws, Texas Pharmaceutical Association, 1993-1994
- Student Liaison, Capitol Area Pharmaceutical Association, Austin, Texas, 1993-1994