The fifth annual UH Arts Open House — “A Taste of the Arts” — will feature a vast array of talent in the visual, literary, performing, design and interdisciplinary arts from 2 – 5 p.m., Oct. 17 at the University of Houston. Students, faculty, staff and the community are invited to the free event to sample food from local eateries while enjoying live performances and art demonstrations.
The 2013 UH Arts Open House will take place in the Fine Arts District (also known as the Fine Arts Quadrangle) located between Blaffer Art Museum, The Wortham Theater and Moores School of Music. Attendees will have an opportunity to participate in tours of the Moores Opera House, the Burdette Keeland Junior Design and Exploration Center, and the Blaffer Art Museum.
Patrons also will be able to participate in interactive art activities throughout the afternoon. Representatives from arts programs, including the Center for Arts Leadership and Masters of Arts in Arts Leadership degree program, will be available to share information on UH Arts programs. Community participants include Museum of Fine Arts Houston, The Tinderbox Collective, Café 101 and The Nook Café.
A schedule of performers and events is as follows:
Literary Arts Tent
- 2-2:40 pm - Book signing by Creative Writing Program professor and novelist Mat Johnson (Free autographed graphic novels for the first 25 guests)
- 3 p.m. - Readings presented by Glass Mountain authors.
- 3:30 p.m. - Readings presented by the UH Honors College Center for Creative Work
- 4 p.m. - Text-based art workshop with Tinderbox Craft Collective
Performing Arts Tent
- 2 - 5 p.m. - 2013-2014 Theater Season Pop Up Box Office
- 3:45 p.m. - Phortasics Improv Comedy Show
- 4:45 p.m. - Stage Combat Demonstration
Visual Arts Tent
- 4 - 5 p.m. - UH Arts Photo Booth sponsored by UH Student Photographers Association
- 3:30 - 5 p.m. - Silkscreening demonstration and custom poster giveaways
- 4:30 pm - UH Public Art Collection tours depart
Moores School of Music Patio
- 2 - 2:30 p.m. - Julie Croce Quintet
- 3 p.m. - Surprise guest artist
- 4 p.m. - Tours of Moores Opera House
- 4:15 p.m. - Princeton Miles in concert
- 4:45 p.m. - Alexandra Doyle Quintet
UH Arts encompasses music, visual arts, literary arts, dance, theater and design programs in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture. UH Arts focuses on the role of the arts as a catalyst for innovation and Tier One excellence. To learn more about UH Arts, visit its website.