UH Hosting 'Veterans Awareness Week' Nov. 7 - 11
During the week leading up to Veterans Day, the University of Houston will host a series of events focused on issues facing those who served our country.
“Veterans Awareness Week” will feature free panel discussions, semninars and tributes to former members of the armed forces. Presented by the UH Veterans Services in conjunction with the Veterans Collegiate Society, events run Nov. 7 – 10 at the University Center (UC) and Cemo Hall.
“We’re pleased to deliver dialogue that centers on the experiences of our veteran community,” said Allen Grundy, Veterans Services director. “It will be an insightful week of events that will spotlight the men and women who proudly served their nation.”
A schedule of events is as follows:
- 3 – 5 p.m., Nov. 7 – “Veterans Speak Up!” (UC Big Bend Room – Room 279): Veterans will sound off on the challenges of transitioning back to civilian life and the issues they face as college students.
- Noon, Nov. 8 – “Veteran Women in Combat” (UC Women’s Resource Center – Room 279A): Women veterans will talk about the issues facing female soldiers on and off the battlefield. Other topics to be addressed include the repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.
- 3 p.m., Nov. 9 “Delicate Memories” (UC Big Bend Room – Room 279): As part of UH’s Veterans Oral History Project, Glen Outerbrook (founder of eyeMe) will discuss how student veterans can doument their journey from the armed forces to the classroom.
- 7 p.m., Nov. 10 “Veterans Entrpreneurship Program” (UH Cemo Hall – Room 100D): As part of the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship’s Distinguished Speaker Series, John Sheptor, CEO of Imperial Sugar, will discuss crisis management, price elasticity, global footprint, brand and industry leadership, diversification and adapting to changing demand.
- Noon, Nov. 11 - "What Does Being a Veteran Mean to You?" (UC Arbor): Veterans (faculty, staff and students) and their family members will share insights on what it means to be a veteran.
For more details on “Veterans Awareness Week,” call the VSO at 832-842-5490.
|WHAT:||"Veterans Awareness Week"|
|WHEN:||Nov. 7 - 10|
University of Houston