Computing encompasses a number of top-level services important to on-campus users who utilize computers for research, study, to facilitate teaching and learning, or to perform their jobs.
- The UIT Software Download page provides a variety of software at no charge to students, faculty and staff. Your CougarNet username and password must be entered to download software.
- UH has volume purchase agreements for many computer systems and associated devices. Special HigherEd discounts are available for hardware through the UH Purchasing site.
- UIT provides access to over 2800 free online courses for all students, faculty, staff, and alumni of the University of Houston System, including UH main campus, Clear Lake, Victoria, Sugarland, Downtown and Cinco Ranch.
- UIT manages the infrastructure that supports data, video and voice for the University of Houston, as well as the connections between the UH System universities. This includes: Wireless, Virtual Private Network (VPN), Compressed Video Network (CVN), Cougar Vision Network (Cable TV) and Network Statistics.
- Fax Server
- Sending and receiving faxes from your computer is as easy as using email. A networked computer and the proper account are the only things required to begin using the fax server service.
- IP Address
- Computers that require an IP (Internet Protocol) address to connect to the campus network should be configured to obtain their IP address using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). A static or fixed IP address is assigned only for devices that require them, such as on-campus networked printers and servers.
- Gartner, the world's leading provider of research and analysis about the global information technology industry, provides UH students, faculty, and staff with free access to detailed and relevant product information, evaluations, recommendations, and measurement services on a wide range of technology issues and trends.
- EDUCAUSE is a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology. The University of Houston is a member of EDUCAUSE.