VPN Installation for Windows
This software is available to UH students, faculty, and staff.
- To download the latest version of the VPN Client software, go to www.uh.edu/infotech/php/software_downloads.php.
- From the software download page, do the following:
- Click the Download link for the VPN Client.
- Select Save and specify a destination you will remember, such as the Desktop.
NOTE: If you already have a version of the Cisco VPN client software installed on the computer, you will need to uninstall it first, using the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
- After the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file and double-click on the downloaded file, named something like "uhvpn_win_46.exe."
- The Installation Wizard set-up window will appear. Click the Next button, and the License Agreement window will appear.
- If you accept the terms of the license agreement, click the Yes button.
- Click the Next button to confirm the Destination Folder.
- Click the Next button to confirm the new Program Folder.
- The installation will begin and show the status window.
- When the installation is complete, a window will appear saying the VPN client has been successful installed. You will be asked if you want to restart the computer.
- If you are ready to restart the computer, select "Yes, I want to restart my computer now" and click the Finish button.
- If you need to save any work or close any programs you have open, select "No, I will restart my computer later" and click the Finish button.
If asked to confirm opening the file, click the Run button.
Connecting via VPN
- Once the computer has restarted, go to the Start menu and select All Programs, Cisco Systems VPN Client, and VPN Client. The main VPN Client window will appear.
- Click the Connect icon, and the login window will appear.
- To log in using VPN, enter your CougarNet username in the Username field, enter your CougarNet password in the Password field, and click the OK button.
NOTE: If you do not have a CougarNet account, contact the Information Technology Support Center at 713-743-1411, send email to email@example.com, or visit the IT Support Center in Room 116 Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall (PGH) for assistance.
- Once you are connected, the VPN window will minimize to a closed gold lock icon on the taskbar near the clock.
For More Information
If you have problems with or questions about downloading and installing the UHVPN software, contact the IT Support Center at 713-743-1411 or firstname.lastname@example.org.