Information Technology News
Holiday Tips from UIT
Note: This story may not be current. It is part of the IT News Archive, and exists as a historical document.
On December 30th some IT systems will not be available
Electrical work at the UH Data Center will cause us to shut down some systems. We will keep email, web services, WebCT and PeopleSoft systems up and running during the outage. If you are working on the 30th, the IT Support Center will be staffed to provide updates or assistance. Just call 713-743-1411 or use our live chat.
Give your computer a break
If your desktop computer is not doing anything over the break, you can help the University be more green, conserve power and avoid any potential problems by powering it down before you leave campus. You should also backup any important data. Find out more about Green Computing.
We will have staff on campus over the break upgrading some of our wireless networks. The M.D. Anderson Library and the University Centers will have more wireless network capacity when our students return to campus.
We will have staff on campus during the break. View our holiday break hours.
Protect your cyber security over the holidays
- Use and maintain anti-virus software, a firewall, and anti-spyware software
- Keep software, particularly your web browser, up-to-date
- Evaluate your software's settings
- Do business with reputable vendors
- Take advantage of security features
- Be wary of emails requesting information
- Check privacy policies
- Make sure your information is being encrypted
- And for on-line shopping - use a credit card and check your statements